Find
Notify
Tools

M70 416 Rem Magazine box
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
Does anybody make a "proper" 416 Rem drop-in replacement for the factory 416 box? (Proper according to Paul Mauser's equations.) The factory box is really a 375 box.

I think the box will have to have "windows" in it for the shoulders of the 416 case.

I seem to remember seeing one somewhere, but I am suffering from CRS these days.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that Blackburn does and I don't remember it being a window'd box. I believe that the magazine box mortise on the underside of your action will need to be remachined to accomadate the wider box.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I know Blackburn makes a complete new one-piece trigger guard and magazine box.

I understood, however, that installing it required a new stock in addition to the 'smithing.

What I'm talking about is a drop-in replacement for the piece of bent sheet metal that is the stock Winchester mag box.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. Any box correctly dimensioned for the 416 by it's very nature will require machining the underside of the action.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm still not making myself clear.

I understand that some metalwork will be necessary to match the box to the action. I can handle metal work.

What I want to avoid is having to get a new stock.

First question: Is it true the Blackburn bottom metal requires a new stock? I could possibly handle re-inletting for a slightly bigger box, but I don't think there's enough wood in the factory stock to allow inletting a Blackburn bottom metal.

Second question: The factory magazine box is a piece of bent sheet metal that is .042 thick. It is dimensionally correct (almost) for the 375. Does anybody make a replacement that is dimensionally correct for the 416? I realize that I would have to do some metal work to match it up, but I'd like to re-use my bottom metal and stock. I realize I'd have to open up the magazine well of the stock to allow for the wider shoulder.

I have my 416 feeding reliably after some whittling on the stock magazine box, but Mr Mauser would not approve of the geometry at the shoulder of the cases.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Don, maybe they have some left at the Winchester Custom shop? Assuming there's anyone there to answer the phone. Second option might be a 7 STW or 300 Wby box. They might be square enough.

Another perfectly functional technique is to just have "side plates" with no front or back at all. The stock mortise will fuction as that part of the box fine if it isn't so long that it allows bullet tips to hang up under the ramp.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
I have my 416 feeding reliably after some whittling on the stock magazine box, but Mr Mauser would not approve of the geometry at the shoulder of the cases.

Who cares what Mr. Mauser would think? The point is to get it working without making an unsightly, or, irreversible mess.

Depending on what you have to work with, sometimes, when trying to fit non-standard (wildcat) cartridges in factory equipment, it is necessary to change the geometry of the follower to apply more side force to the cartridge to keep it under the feed rail.

Sometimes a particular cartridge design requires the installation of a shoulder stop, or, verticle rod in the magazine box to physically prevent the cartridge from moving forward in the magazine during recoil.

What a person want's to avoid at all possible costs is destroying the action through over, or, uneccessary modification. If approached carefully, most problems can be solved without doing permanent damage to the action. Glad it works!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this has been explored or not but, won't the .300 Ultra Mag box handle the .416 REM case?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...MAGNUM&s=27067#27067

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
malm,

As usual you are correct.

There's already some deep machine marks in the action where some Asshole at the factory decided to adjust the feed rails when I sent it in for a barrel under warranty. I will never again let the factory touch an action I like.

I'm glad it works, too!

Masterifleman,

The widget you pointed to was for a Rem Model 700, I think.

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
Blackburn makes two models. A five round drop box, which will require a new stock, and a standard depth four round magazine. The standard depth unit aside from remachining the underside of the action may or may not require stock work. At the very least inletting adjustments will need to be made on the stock.

Unfortunately there is not a drop in unit like you want due tho the afforementioned mag. well machining. Blackburn and Echols are the only two who currently make such boxes for the M70 that I'm aware of (maybe David Miller Co.). And you can only get Echol boxes on his and Simillion's rifles. Wisner's may have made them in the past but I find no reference to this on their current website. The Blackburn boxes are nicely made and are designed properly according to Mauser's stack angle formula. Maybe a call to Blackburn is in order as they probably have had this qustion before.

CNC Specialty Products 435-623-2074

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks, David. I'll do that.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Ted says the bow on his units are .600 or .620 wide, and the Winchester parts are anything up to .750 wide.

My Winchester bow measures .700 wide at the stock.

So, you will have pretty big gaps if you inlet his bottom metal. Heights off the action may be different also. Ted does not recommend trying to fit his bottom metal to the factory M70 stock.

I have a 375 Mauser bottom metal of his, and it is a beautiful thing!

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who cares what Mr. Mauser would think?

Malm, Allen Day would be rolling over in his grave (okay he's still alive), how about rolling over in his computer chair. Blasphemy!!!! Smiler

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
quote:
Who cares what Mr. Mauser would think?

Malm, Allen Day would be rolling over in his grave (okay he's still alive), how about rolling over in his computer chair. Blasphemy!!!! Smiler

Yeah, well... Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

That info is good to know. Too bad Ted doesn't sell his boxes alone.