New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 x 338 to 300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 300 Win Mag with a Pac-Nor Barrel that I cannot get to shoot. I have a Bartlien 30 x 338 barrel threaded for my M-70 Win Action. Can a 300 Win Mag Reamer clean up the 30 x 338 Chamber? I do not want to cut off the thread portion of the barrel and re-chamber it as the Bartlien Barrel has the same contour as the Pac-Nor. Looking at the SAMI specs, the 300 Win Mag cartridge is .120 longer than the 30 x 338.

Gracias,

Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than that it is a "wildcat" my opinion would be to keep the 30-338 as it is the better cartridge design with that longer neck.

As others said, if the 308 Norma Magnum hadn't already been in existence, the 30-338 was what the 300 Winchester Magnum would otherwise have been.

So. My advice? be thankful you've a berrel in the BETTER chambering of 30-338 and don't waste money re-making it into an INFERIOR chambering of 300 Winchester Magnum.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot, "Ammoguide" says it can be done, no problem.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of them over the years after people get tired of forming brass and hand loading all the time. The only headache that you some times get is a ring in the neck. Some of the reamer makers used to make the neck a touch larger in diameter than the 300 Winchester because of the thick neck of the necked down 338 Winchester. It won't hurt anything, it just looks a bit odd.

When recutting the chamber you will have to use a piece of virgin, factory brass that has been full length sized to track your headspace from the shoulder. Belted magnums headspace at two places. The belt and the shoulder. The headspace on the belt has already been set at .220 and .223 so the only thing the gauge will tell you is when you have gone to far.

Some guys made gauges for the shoulder and I did have a set back in the day, but loaned them out and never got them back. A case works just as well if you're careful. Just add .003 to the length of case measurement and that should give you a GO gauge. A thickness of tape on the back of virgin brass should give you a rough NO-GO.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muchas gracias guys. Your help is really appreciated.

Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
It can be done, but I do belive the 30-338 is one of the best designs of any 30 cal. magnum..

I can't see much difference in any of them to tell the truth..I got more velocity out of the 300 H&H with good handloads than either the 300 Win mag or 30-338, but my present 30 is a Ruger 77 SS Zytel stock (boat paddle stock) in 300 Win mag...Its about 100 FPS slower than my old H&H but who cares...I like it when the snow falls and the rain comes and my saddle scabbard is wet, during the late seasons in Idaho.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote