Find
Notify
Tools

action bedding?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
The question is has anyone bedded a savage long action both front and rear with pillow block?
If you pillow block bedded the rear action how did you get around the limited space with the trigger sear / cocking ramp/ bolt release?
Has anyone milled that area to give more space.
The picture shows the relationship with the rear action screw.
Thanks Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of guys brazing a block to the tang of these rifles and then drilling and tapping for a rear guard screw that can be pillar bedded.

It’s the front part of the safety that obstructs the area around the present rear action screw and without having one in front of me to look at I can’t tell if that portion could be relieved, cut out or sculpted differently to make more room.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
rick, this is what the sear look like
Does that help any?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that’s the safety...but its impossible to tell without seeing how everything relates when assembled to see if you could remove a portion in the center without screwing up the function of the parts.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
no the safety is at the rear of the trigger assembly. This is called the sear, it also has a cocking ramp and the bolt release designed into it. there is not any room between the action screw and the sear.
the action rest on an area just ahead of the rear action screw and my thought was to put a pillow or sleeve for the rear action screw to tighten on, " simular to a sleeve on the model 98 mausers". but I would need to make some room for the sleeve, by milling the sear bracket at the point where it comes in close to the rear action bolt.
the other thought was to make a solid block contured to the bottom of the action and epoxy it in the stock. The action then would be ridgid when bolted to the block.
The idea is to stiffen up the action.
thanks, Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was my earlier suggestion. I have never done it, but I know of guys who have sliver soldered a block to the tang area and drilled and tapped it to accept a standard sized action screw so they can pillar bed the receiver.

Savage doesn’t seem to make it real easy for a guy to do this though do they?