New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser Action Hardness Tested
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1909 Agentine action that I plan to use for a future project. A recent thread here discussed the hardness of Mauser actions and the merits of heat treating them before using them as a basis for custom rifle.

I came to the conclusion that it's a pretty good idea to have them re heat treated before use.

I haven't sent this action out for heat treating yet, but I had the hardness checked. The results follow.

Left bolt lug: C17
Right bolt lug: C20
Recoil lug: C15
Bottom of recv'r behind feed ramp: C11

Am I correct in my thinking that these numbers seem awfully low, indicating a very< !--color--> soft receiver? Judging from these figures it would seem that any cartridge generating pressure greater than the standard Muaser chambering would soon cause problems.

It should be noted that this is a South American Mauser, not a DWM or Orberndorf.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a 1909 Agentine action

Quote:

not a DWM

Picture please.
Who made it and where was this acton made ?? Argentina ?

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but right now I'm photo illiterate. They were made during/since WWII at the Argentine Govt factory Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles "Domingo Matheu" in Rosario Argentina. They are marked "Model 1909", "FMAP", or "DGFM (FMAP)". As far as I can tell they are identical to the German version, except of course, the markings. The same factory also made the "Sistima Colt, 1927" which was a Colt licensed copy of the M1911A1 auto pistol.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
How is the quality compared to the DWM ?
I have acouple of DWM 1909 and they are top draw.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Craigster.....you may be breaking thru the case.....these readings should be taken by a machine that is set up to read on the 15 or 30-N scale

I'd suggest that you leave the bolt alone and only work on the action.....and the place to check it is on the bottom just behind the recoil lug.

File a clean section and check only with a 15 or 30-N scale tester. The actions are case hardened and not thru hardened and you can easily break thru the case and get very bad readings.....I suispect that's what's happening.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vapodog has a good point . You can also get an idea by seeing how a file bites into the surface .If it bites in very easily you have no case .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I think you guys may be right about breaking thru the case. I was surprised at the results, but I also considered the source (the tester). Contary to what he told me, I'm not sure he is well versed on this sort of testing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JefferyDenmark,

I would say the overall machining/finish quality is right up there with the German, top draw as you say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue,

Thanks for the input. Could you post contact info for PMI? Are they out here somewhere on the West Coast?

Craig

one of us
Picture of Pettson
posted Hide Post
An Rc-tester will often bite clean through the case on a refle action, giving low readings.
When you send one off for hardness testing, make sure the tester is aware of that it is case hardened, and preferably that he has experience of this.

Pettson

Posts: 62 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hej Pettson!

Glad to see that you your Husqvarna page is back up! Great info there guys, if you haven't looked give it a try!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to Mausers call George Beitzinger (formerly with Griffin & Howe) 718-847-7662. George is the man.