THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is there a headspace problem with certain Marlin 336s?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a headspace problem with certain Marlin 336s?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Marlin 336C (circa 1973) in .35 Remington that has suddenly started misfiring a lot.

Then a friend of mine says that Marlin had a problem with this gun in this caliber seperating head space. Said his went back to Marlin for repair years ago.

Anybody ever heard of this problem?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen several, all 35 Remington that have had the same problem. Yours may or may not be a headspace problem. A new locking bolt should cure it. The locking bolt on a Marlin locks the bolt into battery and pushes the two piece firing pin up to allow it to fire. They are not a drop in part and have to be fitted.

If Marlin will fix it, that's the way to go.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Headspace problems don't suddenly occur with the 336 unless the barrel is loose or the locking bolt is soft. I would inspect the 2 piece firing pin assembly first to make sure something wasn't interfering with the alignment of the two pieces. You can check this by closing the bolt on an empty chamber and then press the firing pin forward. You should not feel any interference with the forward movement of the pin. If you do, then that is where I would focus my attention first.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote