Notify
Tools

9.3x64 on a Remington 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Can I just use a magnum bolt face?

Sauer 202 8x68S rifles use the magnum bolt face, I am guessing the size difference is negligible.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't; the head/rim diameter is half way between the 8mm and regular belted mags. I would open up a standard face for the best fit.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
std is .473, 9,3x64 is .500 and magnums are .532

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know that.

I have a feeling this is going to hurt more financially on a 700 than it is on a Mauser 98.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Yes, I know that.

I have a feeling this is going to hurt more financially on a 700 than it is on a Mauser 98.

No it won't! Probably not even close.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll need a new bolt in 30-06 based case so they can open it up to fit the .509 9.3x64 base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your right though, easier to find folks who can work on a 700. You can gunsmith a 700 with a CNC machine if you are a good programer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy, sell, or trade for an 06' action. Problem half solved. There are a million smiths out there that can open your bolt face. Might have to instal a modified Sako type extractor. Not sure. Should be a no sweat deal on a rem 700 action.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy, sell, or trade for an 06' action. Problem half solved. There are a million smiths out there that can open your bolt face. Might have to instal a modified 06' Sako type extractor. Not sure. Should be a no sweat deal on a rem 700 action.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think the same extractor might be used. Opening up bolt; child's play, in my sleep, with one hand tied.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is probably a lot of hype in the Sako extractor, but they are tougher than the Remington. As DPCD stated on another post recently, you sacrifice the "three rings of steel" strength factor when installing the Sako style.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If opened up and Sako or M16 extractor is used, typically it will be bushed anyway. Just use your magnum bolt, have the face cleaned up in the lathe, bushed to a smaller size and install an M16 style extractor...done.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have done that and it is a lot of work and expense; all depends on how much the OP wants to spend on it. Yes, the three rings of steel thing, actually does work; I have seen two 700s loaded with a case full of pistol powder; the shooter (same guy) did not know anything bad had happened until he couldn't open the bolt. I had to pull the barrels to get them apart.
I think I could make the original extractor work after the face was opened up; I could try it. On someone else's bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One option is to call Pacific Tool and see if they will make one for you with the right bolt face. They offer replacement bolts for Remingtons, and they are very nicely made. Mine came with a Sako extractor and is way better quality than the factory job.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I used the 9.3x64 dummy cases and brass to do a test feed.

The 700 Magnum no worky with the 9.3x64 Brenneke if anyone wondered.

I'll either buy a 2nd hand 270 Remington 700 or Howa 1500.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only did the bolt face not work, the plan was to use a AICS Magnum system. It doesn't like the 9.3x64 Either.

Tried in on a Accuracy International 1.5 stock I have for the long action 700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
One option is to call Pacific Tool and see if they will make one for you with the right bolt face. They offer replacement bolts for Remingtons, and they are very nicely made. Mine came with a Sako extractor and is way better quality than the factory job.

Jeremy

They said they would do it for another about $150 more. And a long long wait!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. That surprises me since their standard replacement bolts are fairly priced IMHO.

Then again, I am not programming the machining center, either.

Good luck with the project, I really like my 9.3.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Considering the questionable extractor on the M700, I would be reluctant to make that conversion, esp. if you intend to hunt dangerous game.

Even in a Mauser action, the Zimbabwe PH trainers would worry about feeding problems, if converting to that odd-ball case.

Despite the lower power, the 9.3x62 would be a safer option for conversion and hunting.

Better to buy an original 9.3x64 if you must have that calibre.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman338,

I have a few friends in Canada and Austria that have rifles built on this cartridge. Two of them are hard core fans of the cartridge and convinced me to give it a try, they both have multiple rifles. Some are factory like Sauer 90s and Steyr-Mannlicher rifles, and quite a few others are custom built on M700 or 700 clones.

The rifle I'd like to use is a 700 in 338 Win mag. Someone dicked up the barrel by taking a drill press to it. I don't trust their work and bought it for a good price, with the intent to screw a new barrel into it.

I have been messing with this 338 quite a bit. The 9.3x64 cartridges feed, but then get run over. I think this points to a the magazine box sitting up to low into the action of the magnum chambered 700s. So even if we fit this action for a 9.3x64 barrel and buy a PTG bolt with the correctly sized face .511-.514 (or there abouts) I believe that the over-run will continue as the magazine will not sit up high enough into the action.

PTG has 700 actions with their barrels for about $550.

Original 9.3x64 rifles in America are rare as hens teeth.

Besides I see my future with the 9.3x64 as a 13 pound sniper type rifle, not as a 8 pound "going on a lion hunt" type gun.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, good luck with it, BWW. It's good to have a project - I usually limit mine to those that don't require fitting-and-turning skills beyond installing reticle-movement scopes.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Contact Jim Kobe who posts here

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The '64 Brenneke has the same base dimensions as the 376 Steyr...~0.495-6" rim and 0.506-7" base OD. The 700 in an '06 configuration should be able to handle it with a bit of rail work maybe...the Steyr is a bit shorter, case wise. Anyone that can do the extractor conversion can do the rim OD opening and probably the rail work.

I like my 700's but I would chose another action for this conversion basically because I'm not the best with rail work and hate jobbing my toys.

Go with a Savage center feed mag and '06 bolt head taken out to fit the rim. Simple matter with a safe ended carbide rotary bit in an air grinder mounted on the tool post or a tool bit ground for clearance.

The Savage '06 center feed magazines are MUCH better than the old mags and feed "ALMOST" as well as a CRF and you can set the barrel up without the nut if the nut gives you the redazzzz.

I like wildcatting so think your project is KOOL, but also like simplicity, cheapness, component availability, etc., so I would probably go with a readily available case like the just slightly smaller WSM or shortened RUM or Ruger case.

Lots of pro's and con's to any conversion.

Cogitation and development are more fun to me than the finished project.

Luck.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Not only did the bolt face not work, the plan was to use a AICS Magnum system. It doesn't like the 9.3x64 Either.

I just tried a 376 Steyr case in my Accurate 30-06 AICS magazines, it fed.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magazine feeds, but is not deep enough into the well to fully run into the chamber. This is out of an AICS chassis, using AICS magazines.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I'm using an AICS chassis, but with the Accurate 30-06 specific magazine - Steyr case came up, out and stuck the projectile and neck into my 30-06 chamber.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fireball168,

I'll mess with it tonight.

These magazines are 300 Win mag ones from AICS.

Who makes this 30-06 specific magazine you are talking about?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, found the website for Accurate Magazines. Nice. I'll order one and see how it works.

That would make life really simple if it would work on this 338.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I had the stock torqued down all the way. Works well, now. Sometimes I am all thumbs.