Find
Notify
Tools

Forend Flex....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
Rem 700 Sendero originally in .300WinMag wrapped in an HS stock. (liked the gun, kicked like a mule, but never better than 2.5" prints at a 100). Sent to reputable barrel maker last year and had the action worked over, lugs done, etc. I then had it rebarreled with their 30" 1000BR contour barrel. I capped the barrel with a Holland muzzle break to further tame the beast. (Shoots like a .243 now) All was chambered back in .300 WinMag. My plan was F class, but found out, too late, concerning all the rules. LOL! Ok...so I have a great long range rifle that weighs a ton.

After I got the rifle back my initial 250yd bullet prints were 1.5" after all the work. I used both factory and reloads using RL-22 and 190gr Berger VLD's.

Main issue at hand: I had Hart rework the barrel channel in the Sendero HS stock to allow all to be floated and bedded. Since the barrel diameter is so large a lot of forend material was taken out. After a few rounds I notice less than stellar results. The forend taps the barrel easily when you slightly slap it. I feel there is too much flex and would/could cause changes in POI after a few rounds down the barrel.

Is there a fix with the current stock? I am coming to the conclusion that I will need to restock. I want a fiberglass composite type stock. If I restock with a fiberglass stock, such the HS or McMillan do they make an extra strength forend to keep it from flexing? I do want to keep weight down as much as possible. General concensus? Also, I would rather not have the rifle at the gunsmith for a long time waiting on the stock to be built, but is this the way it is done? Or would it be feasible to order a stock, pay for it, have it built over the six months and then send it to someone? I know many of you ARE gunsmiths who are post here, but is there someone who does this type of work? I ask this because many are AGCC and post about world class working art, Mausers, etc. (Someday my pocketbook will allow this type of art to be in my safe)

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Why not contact HS Precision and tell them what barrel diameter you have and let them provide you with the correct stock with the correct forearm dimensions. They will build you one specifically for your barrels needs. Their stocks boast a solid piece of Aluminum from the front sling stud back through the wrist. That should provide exceptional stability for your needs.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
Westpac...now that sounds like a plan. Thanks...
Am gonna go to their website this minute.

And here I was sitting here contemplating a trip made to Subic Bay many years ago and silver bullets....

OORAH! Semper Fi

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote