New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coppermelt anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you ever tried Coppermelt bore cleaner? Pretty expensive, does it live up to it's makers claims? Sounds too good to be true. Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used it and it seems to be pretty good stuff. They claim no harm to the barrel and watching it side by side with sweets, there is really no comparison. The coppermelt out does it by a long shot. Thats visually watching it work, not comparing blue patches. I didn't get a firm conclusion on its powder fouling removal but it is supposed to do wonders on it as well. The trouble with it is the price, but much less is required to do the job, and they recommend using nylon brushes which are hard to find up here (sorry excuse). I've got a rifle that should be finished shortly and will give the stuff an honest effort and report any results. In fact, I'll be in Bill Leepers shop tomorrow and maybe I can talk him into cross sectioning a fouled take off barrel I have and do some more experimenting.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still testing, but it certainly seems to work on copper fouling. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Wolfgar - I would also recommend that you try Montana X-Treme. It is quicker than Sweets and stabilized so that you can soak the bore for hours if you like. The problem with Sweets and CR-10 is they contain ammonia which is hygroscopic (attracts moisture). Prolonged soaking can cause corrosion problems under certain circumstances.

You can find E-Treme at Sinclair. Ask the guys there about it...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing compares to Wipe Out foam...Spray it in, let sit for an hour or all night and swab out and oil..that's it..
I have used them all and this stuff works...Next on my list is Barnes X copper solvent...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody borescoped a barrel cleaned with wipeout?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Chuck

I have not bore scoped after Wipe Out yet but I�ll give it a look see soon. What I have done is ran sweats behind Wipe Out and had absolutely no trace of blue on a patch.
I have also done this in reveres. I took a rifle that I cleaned with my tried and true method of a combination of Sweats, JB bore paste and a lot of time and elbow grease. This was a rifle that I was pretty sure was clean. I shot it full of Wipe Out and let it sit for about two or three hours. Ran a patch through and it came out spotless. What this tells me is that it is no better than a lot of other products when used properly. It also tells me that I have been working way to hard.
It will not replace JB, Butchs, Sweats, CR-10 etc. because if you need something clean fast, in my limited experience Wipe Out takes at least two hours to work. It works best over night. But if you were shooting a match or something like that I believe you would be better off with more conventional methods of cleaning.
It is the simple fact that you can leave it in the bore over night with out any fear of harm to the bore, then the next morning run three or four patches through the bore and your done. Super easy and no smell.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Chuck - I use a Hawkeye on all more bores at least a few times a year. I know that Butch's Bore Shine in my premium bores pulls all the copper out and Montana X-Treme pulls stubborn copper out of factory tubes.

I know several people who have tried WipeOut with mixed results. Yes it does remove copper well, but does not remove all the residue in the bore. After using WipeOut as directed and patching the solvent out, they went back a day later with Sweets on a patch and found traces of residue. The patches did not turn green, but indicated powder or solvent residue left in the bore.

I have not bore scoped a WipeOut bore, but it does not sound as if the solvent is totally scrub free. If you look at competition shooters and their cleaning routine, you see lots of Butch�s & Sweets being used. That should tell you something...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote