New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 4 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings, all! I'm considering picking up a Remington Model 4 Rolling Block and converting it to something I can get ammo for, such as .32-20. My question is: were the recievers and breech blocks on those forged, or were they cast like the old Stevens Model 44s?

Thanks in advance-

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think mine are cast. However as the hammer
and breech on a #4 ride on screws not pins as
with the larger actions it certainly isn't
strong enough for a 32/20. In fact it is
marginal for a 22 magnum.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look elsewhere. Pity- it looks like a nice package.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If my memory is working the Model 4 was a 22 & 32Rimfire. I belive the 32 was black powder. Heck maybe both were.

Could be relined to 22LR?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely only safe for .22 rf. A lot of marginal conversions to .32 pistol rounds over the years, but not a viable conversion because of the weak pins as mentioned before. I've caught a lot of grief over the years for saying this. Inevitably someone comes on and tells how they converted it to .32-xx of some sort, and shot it with light loads for years and it didn't blow up. Might work, but the first fellow that gets it after you pass on and puts a standard shell in it could have shrapnel in his eyes. Best to not go there at all. Lots of nice actions in suitable guise so that you don't have to convert a marginal one that would make an even nicer .22 anyway!

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote