Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 magnum
 Login/Join

posted
I want to build a 375 magnum and want to shoot 300gr Barnes x what will the ideal barrel length and twist. Will it shoot all 300gr staight and what other gr's can you shoot with your specifications.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Marius,

I have had three .375 H&H rifles with barrels from 23" to 26". The standard twist is 12", and that twist will handle any .375" bullet you are likely to find.

I also have a .376 Steyr with 20" barrel, it also has a 12" twist. I mostly shoot 270 grain bullets in it, but it will shoot them all as well.

What do you want to use the rifle for?

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The last barrel for the .375 H&H I bought came from Douglas. They are my favorite barrel maker and Shilen a close second. It's a light weight #3 contour with 1:12 twist.

I'm confident it'll handle the Barnes X 300 grain!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I mostly want to use on Buffalo and on short distances on bigger game in South Africa. What is the longest distance and ammo you can use on this caliber. 'cuase it sound like a good allrounder up to 350 yards. Have you got more info on the caliber.

Marius

<eldeguello>
posted
IF you truely intend to shoot bullets at large dangerous animals at ranges up to 350 yards, get a .378 Weatherby and learn to shoot it rather than using a .375 H&H!!

Good luck, and I hope you keep your insurance policies up top date!!

<allen day>
posted
You'll be smart to stick with the original .375 H&H formula of a 1 in 12" twist. Barrel contours can vary, but Winchester's factory Model 70 .375 H&H contours (pre-64 or post-64) are pretty tough to beat for this cartridge.

A 24" barrel is a very good way to go for a .375 H&H, and that's what my rifle has.

Don't get hung up on using Barnes bullets. Your finished rifle may not shoot them well, but so what? There are a ton of fine .375 bullets available that'll take care of any task you undertake anywhere in the world with this cartridge.

My own rifle shoots 270 gr. Winchester Fail-Safes, 300 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, 300 gr. Trophy Bonded solids, and 300 gr. Swift A-Frames to the same POI at 100 yds. and with excellent accuracy in each case. I doesn't shoot Barnes X bullets for sour apples, but I haven't suffered one iota because of it.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marius,
I doubt that and real PH is going to allow you to shoot Buffalo or any dangerous game beyound 200 yards max and 99.9% of your shots will be under 100 yards...and the 375 H&H is fine for most any dangerous game circumstance IMO at those ranges and with proper bullets, that being a solid on Buffalo, Hippo, and elephant and softs on the cats.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pre 64 M70's have a 25" barrel that is quite heavy. The newer M 70 Classics have what seems to be a lighter barrel that's 24" long. I now prefer the newer Classic barrel length and taper for the .375's.

As Allen and Ray said stick with the standard cartridge. There is lots more important stuff at stake on a big trip than a hundred FPS. And less may be better at short range anyway.

I have a Douglas barrel on a 375 AI that's 22" long. The twist is 1-12. One could not have a more accurate rifle of that power. But making cases is a hassle. It's fun at first and then reality sets in.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I started out with a Douglas bbl. chambered for the 375H&H and rechambered it to 375Wby. It was a good move. It has the power and can shoot H&H factory loads in a pinch. It's a #5 contour 1-12 twist. Try it, you'll like it.

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Ranges in Africa, except for Namibia and the Ethiopian Highlands, tend to be very short by American Dreamer standards. Since the USFWS started keeping records back in the '40's the vast majority of game is shot at under 150 yards. In Africa, I'll bet it's even less. Don't let the gun mags and manufacturers sell you on this BS of beanfield rifles and forget any shots in Africa out to 350 yards. If you are shooting that range, it won't be on dangerous game so you can use a good .300 mag or maybe a .338. Hell, dangerous game isn't dangerous at 200 yards, so what would be the point? Stick with the original . . .

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I want to use it for buffalo and short distances. What is the longest distance and ammo you can use on this caliber. 'cuase it sound like a good allrounder up to 350 yards. Have you got more info on the caliber.

I'm not going to shoot dangerous animals up to 350 yards, I'm not crazy!!!. I want to use it as a allrounder for all sizes (springbuck to gemsbuck) of animals up to 350 yards with diffrent grains of bullets. There is shots in Shouth Africa up to 600 yards the shots over 350 yards I don't shoot as I'm not comfortable shooting futher than 350 yards. I normally shoot with my PH Paul Moller and he can basicly give any shot any distance you want but you have to proof that you can do it. It will be the fourth time in two years i will be hunting with him.
I will try and express myself with more detial next time

posted Hide Post
Sarge, I know in the bushfeld region you seldom shoot over 120y, I would say 80y will be the longest distance. This year there was alot of rain and the bush will be thiker, and the distances on the plains will also be shorter as the gras will be longer. The distance you want to shoot on the plain all depents on you shooting abilaty. Later in the hunting season when the animals get wilder and if you to cull the whole troop of blesbuck you can sit with even longer distances. As far as dangerous animals go I think 100 yards and less will be the best distance to shoot.