Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Mini-Mauser owners.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I picked up a 799 stock to have as a pattern. Got to looking at it and didn't really care for the shape so thought I might keep a factory and shape a new pattern giving it a more classic feel.

Basic 700 or Mini stock looks like this.

What I was thinking was keeping from the bolt release forward the same maybe thinning a touch and changing the rear to a more classic style something like this.

Or if the two colors make it hard to imagine it would look very much like this simply stopping just behind the ebony tip due to the shorter mini barrel.

Any thought, ideas, suggestions.

Not worth jacking with??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Nice idea. Would it be possible to make it the same style as one of the Whitworth Express rifles? It would really look classic with an ebony tip, grip cap, and a pancake cheek piece.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it be possible to make it the same style as one of the Whitworth Express rifles

No reason it couldn't.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the more open grip design and defined cheek piece. I was also considering doing a scaled down copy of the stock on my Husky 146. I like the narrow forend treatment and small Schnabel. Sort of like this, but with your butt treatment.

I will not ever copy the stock shape on a cooper. The butt's not bad but the forend looks like a baseball bat.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This I scaled down for the kids.
Simple factory MKX barreled action.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is one I ordered from GAG awhile back. I reshaped a few things when I fitted it but it may give you some ideas.

When I fitted it I shortened the forearm and reshapped the grip a little.

I may even finish it oneday Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
TCI

Love it. I guess I lean more to how it started. Is that GAG's Obendorf minus the panels? I have trouble getting my Schnabel to look that good.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I don't know what he called it. The stock was thick and the schnable wouldn't have scaled down without a huge amount t of work. I was overloaded on schnable tipped rifles anyway and wanted to try something different so I went for the English stalker look.

I hope it gives you some idea's.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock Terry started with is what I'm shooting for but with a less pronounced tip.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
The stock Terry started with is what I'm shooting for but with a less pronounced tip.

Just find a donor stock and get after it Smiler IMO, making patterns is fun stuff. Shape the tip just like you want it and glue it on. If you don't like it, cut it off and try it again. Accu-gel works great for forming things like bolt release cutouts etc. Once you get it the way you want it send it out for duplicating and your dream stock will be a reality.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Thanks for the inspiration! Bondo I can handle. The tip on the last pic looks better than the first ones, and that's a spectacular piece or wood.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yes, even with a duplcator you'll still need to do a little shapping on the final product. As far as the tips go, I like both.

Terry