New
Find
Notify
Tools

How deep to inlet an Enfield action...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How about using an easy reference point, such as the gas escape vent hole on the right side of the front ring. The centerline of that hole (along the axis of the barrelled action) is the 'half way point' as far as inletting goes. It doesn't seem like a good idea to bury this half way in the stock -- first, it would look odd, and second, if I ever pierce a primer, I'd likely end up with a big chunk blown out of the right side of the stock.

How far above the inletting / top of stock should the bottom of this hole be?

Here's an example of an Enfield that [to me] doesn't appear to be inletted deep enough -- although the stockwork looks superb; what am I missing? If anyone is wondering, this is a link to the Guntailor site -- I am not knocking his work, just trying to learn a thing or two.
 -

Thanks,
Todd

[ 03-29-2003, 02:14: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went and looked at my 35whelen ai. That hole is just above the wood, just a touch above. Hope that helps.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Dago. That seems about right. Initially I thought about inletting to the halfway mark on the vent hole, then making a relief in the stock, but that would look funny.

I'm wondering if Mr. Belk could pop in and post a picture of that ACGG 416 Rigby on an Enfield, for reference? IIRC, the picture was of the right hand side of the stock and should provide an excellent visual... [Wink]

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I always go halfway on an action. When you have a case failure there will be a sharp whistle and you will then have .000285 nano second warning. [Wink]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah here we go -- found it on HA:
 -

That whistle thing had me laughing pretty hard Chic -- after the fifteen second delay for my caffeine starved brain to 'get it.' [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couple of interesting things about that gun above (ACGG #4, P-14 in 416 Rigby) --
1. This must be the one with the Model 70 safety
2. It looks like the outside edges of the stock, along the barrel channel, are gently rounded. Seems like a good idea, as sharp edges get beat up. What do the stockmakers say?

Aside from the fine metal finish and stock work [Wink] , this is what my 458 Lott looks like now -- very similar stock lines, straight down bolt handle, quarter rib. I retained the Enfield safety though. Cool.

Todd