Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm-284 on Remington LA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
Is there any problem build a 6.5mm-284 on a Remington Long Action? Feeding problems?

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read posts of people doing just this. This would allow you to seat the bullet way out there... I would think you would require a little more care in feeding. Then again, maybe not quite that much.
If it does not work out the way you hope, I would be interested in the barrel. Been tinkering with the idea of building one of those on a short action.

Scout

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually it will feed much smoother than my short action 6.5-284 because the 142grn MKs are pushed way below the neck just to get them to the 2.8 magazine length. With a long action make sure you tell the 'smith you want a long throat so you can seat the 140/2grn bullets all the way out of the case.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hi Matt,
I building a 6.5-06 Improved.Should have it in about a week.To bad I won't be able to shoot it until June.Shoulder Surgery.I have 200 rnds waiting for someone to fireform them for me.I haven't read any threads,saying there is a feeding problem.
1geejay
http://www.shooting-hunting.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you done it Dan, I have been telling my self my 22-250 is getting to much dust, and needs to be used for more things.. Now you say the 6.5-284 feeds better in a long action.. Dang it any how...

Well, Now I need a new action, darn....(grin)...

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate your input. I'll take it up with my riflesmith.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

This post is little late, but I have a 6mm-284 built on a Mod 700 Long Action. The gun feeds and shoots excellent. A long action is not need for the 70 gr 6mm bullets, but for 140 gr 6.5 mm you need at least a 3 in. Magazine. I am told Winchesters new short action rifles have 3 in Magazines, I personlly have not examined one. The magazines on 700 short actions can be lenghted but I have no idea what the cost would be. The Ultralight Arms short actions are re-design 700's with 3 in Mags.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
I just got my copy of Precision Shooting.There is an article in there,about shooting in the long range Matches 600/1000 yds.The write tells about the feedind and extracting problems,that he ran into with his 6.5-284.In one case he had to shim the bolt face for the extracter to work properly.It doesn't happen often,but in a match,it could be devastating.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I guess I miss the point of all this.

If you are going to use a long action, why not just build a 6.5-06?

You would then avoid the feeding problems and not have to search for hard to find brass.

I shot a 6mm X 284 for a while and it was built on a long action Remington. It fed Ok, but was sort of an abortion.It was hard as hell on brass and forming the darned things was not fun at all.

The only reason I could see to use the 284 case design would be so that you could use the short action.

A buddy just built a 25 X 284 on a short action Remington and it is a fine gun, but no better or no worse than my 25-06.

Again, if you are going to use a long action, I see NO advantage to using a cartridge based on the .284 case. It makes as little sense as those folks who used to make .257 Ackley Improved guns on long actions, WHY would you do this to get the same performance you could get from a factory 25-06????

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I have one built on a 1903A3 action. Never a feeding problem here. I do't load the bullets way out there either. The throat in my rifle is not extended. COAL is right at 3" with bullets off the land at .050" There is no real improvement in downrange performance in doing that. It also puts too much distance between bullet and lands in lighter bullets so accuracy suffers.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built mine on an intermediate action which was originally a 308 and I did have feeding problems until I opened up the feed rails some. I don't know if the Remington would be a problem, but like someone said above, why not make it a 6.5-06? Brass is certainly cheaper.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote