New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Model 70 Safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I acquired a beautiful customized Pre-64 early 50's Model 70 375 H and H. It operates with a 3 position safety but the middle setting (bolt cycles safety on) does not click into place. Is there a worn part in the system? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be wear, could be grease/dirt etc accumulation. Hardly any of mine have a positive stop in the mid point.

You could disassemble and clean/ lightly lube.

The parts that could be worn are the plunger or plunger spring.

As long as the Safety is camming the striker back a noticeable distance it is no issue.

If the Safety is not camming the stiker back or just barely moving it back, it is something to pay attention to in the future.

With an unloaded gun, cock the gun and put on full Safe, pull the trigger, if you feel nothing, all is good. BUT, if you feel a click, the gun is going to fire when you put the Safety onto Fire. Do the same check with the mid point.

The above is what will develop if the Striker is not camming back off of the Sear when you engage the Safety.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Airgun1. I'll follow your recommendations.
lb