New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic Stock Makers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone give me some makers of synthetic rifle stocks. I have found the ones below:

H-S Precision
McMillan
Brown Precision
Rimrock
Hogue

I'm looking for something to put my Pre-64 Winchester in. Some of the ones above seem kind of pricey, but I'm willing to pay if the quality is good

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Choate, don't remember their website url.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try HighTech Stocks. The address is www.bansnersrifle.com/hightech

Don't know if they make anything for a Pre-64 or not.

Good luck, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See if you can handle some samples before you choose...here's how I would rank them.

#1...McMillan..top quality, lots of models and a variety of color options...only drawback is sometimes it takes awhile to get one.

#2...RimRock (now Borden) quality as good as McMillan but not many models available...fairly quick delivery.

#3...Bansner's High Tech....close to McMillan and Rimrock but a little different philosphy...not a lot of variety but a bit lighter than #1 and #2.

#4...Brown...good quality and can go very light if you want..not a lot of options.

#5...H-S....don't like them for a big game hunting rifle but their target and varmint models are OK but not much variety.

With respect to a Model 70, I really like the Rimrock over anything else.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how good they are, but you might want to check out "BOYDS'" @ www.boydboys.com. I know your looking for synthetic, but check out the prices.

[ 09-21-2002, 17:20: Message edited by: CharlieinKansas ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used mcmillan,hs precision,ramline and bell and carlson.I much prefer mcmillan and now use only their stocks.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rimrocks are outstanding stocks; have several buddies who have them on pre-64s. I would, too, if I shot right-handed.

The Bell and Carlson seem ok for the money, but not nearly the quality of the makers you mentioned.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have both McMillan and High Tech Specialties stocks. I like both, but the McMillan is lower in the comb: it is a good compromise if you want to use both iron sights and a scope. The High Tech Specialties stock is usable with iron sights, but really excels if you use a scope (much better cheek contact). For myself, the iron sights are only a backup so the High Tech Specialties stock get the nod in this respect.

The High Tech Specialties is much lighter than the McMillan (something like 20 oz vs McMillan's 36 oz).

I've compared the torsional rigidity of both stocks by putting them in a vise and trying to twist the forend as would happen with a tight shooting sling. I cannot detect any difference in rigidity. It is darn hard to get either stock to flex!

The McMillan has a great reputation for being strong, but Brownell's told me that they have sold a trainload of the High Tech Specialties without problems, and that my .375 H&H recoil was no problem whatsoever for the High Tech Spcialties stock.

Overall, you will be happy with either of these two makes. McMillan might be tougher (I'm not so sure about this), but get the High Tech if you want to build a lighter rifle.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I had bad luck with the customer service from HS Precision. I was told it would be ready at a certain time and it was a couple months later. The instructions with the stock would have put me in a train wreck too. The instructions said put 65 in/lbs on the front and rear receiver screws. Have you ever seen how small the rear screw is on a M600 Remington? No allowance was made for the forward trigger guard screw. There is an unfilled hole there. You can get sand etc. in the underside of the action from this hole. Lack of attention to details is not good on a $400 plus custom stock. I like the HS stock on my long range heavy rifle but had no custom features put on the stock. I would recommend you try Rimrock and McMillan. I think their attention to detail is tops. There may be others. Good luck. Pak

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought a Garrett Accu-lite from a company in FT Collins Colorado. It was for my .340 Weatherby and has all of the good attributes of a Weatherby, high comb and cheek piece, and none of the bad, a rounded forearm with a laid back pistol grip.

Does anyone know if they are still around?

I glass bedded it myself and with the original Zeiss Diavari it has not needed to be resighted for 11 years. This in spite of travelling around the world twice and hundreds of miles by cayusemobile. Bye the way it always shoots the first two shots 3" high at a hundred, around an inch. One of those rifles that you can depend on to make up for your mistakes.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
What are your opinions/experiences on a good synthetic stock for an M70 .458 Lott using ghost ring and post iron sights? I'd be interested in the largest cross-section available on the buttpad and room to add a skinny recoil reducer in the forearm as well as a regular recoil reducer in the buttstock. TIA.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote