Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe a gunsmith can help?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Have a friend of mine that will be road tripping from Colorado to the Northwest (Washington) later this summer.
He carries concealed always and is planning on a side trip to Canada and asked me what to do with his firearms while he crosses the border.
I thought maybe he should find a Gun shop or Smith in WA to leave his pistols with ( for a reasonable fee) while he border hops.

What do you Professionals suggest or offer?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, I was caught in a situation where I was on the road, carrying a 6" M29 S&W, and couldn't continue to do so because of where I was going to be for a few days. I went in to a local pawn shop, pawned it for $20, came back in a week and redeemed it for $27.50 and went onwards. A little risk, but I didn't have a lot of choice at the time and needed to act quickly.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a case where the internet can be your friend. Search state carry laws and you can get your answer or a phone number to call. Best bet is to call ATF office in the states in question.

Posts: 3707 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
But we could make Canada a state any time we wanted. I have had maneuvers with their Army.
Oh, on your pistol; yes, leave it with a dealer.

Posts: 17174 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
What city in WA will he depart to Canada?

I can see Victoria B.C. from my driveway.

I am sure there is an AR member near where he will depart and will be able to recommend a storage location.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
He is driving by car and he is still firming up his plans but I do know they plan on seeing Victoria and Vancouver.
If you could recommend a gunshop in your area that may help.
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only gunshop that I am familiar with in WA state is Marksman Arms in the Tacoma area. This is a ways from the border, but I would trust them in such a situation as this. BTW, my son lives in Puyallup, WA. and you could trust him to hold your piece while you are visiting our liberal northern neighbors. Let me know if you want me to PM either address.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pawn shop idea is..or maybe was brilliant. I suppose now you'd be caught up in paper work and waiting periods??? If you took it to a licensed dealer for a "clean and oil"???

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Take it in a bag to the bus station and place it in a rental locker. Used to be, that you could do it in an airport. Like Duane said, if you hock it, you have to fill out the yellow form all over again and pass the background check.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you talked to Canadian Customs or US customs, I would in your case. Lots of guns go into Canada and back every year..Not sure about pistols, but they may hold it for you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Pistols will be seized at the B.C. checkpoint and you will never get it back.

If he is traveling through Port Angeles and taking the ferry to Victoria, there are several gun shops in the Port Angeles area. As he firms up the plans, get back to me and I will give you names and phone numbers.

Our court house has lock boxes for CCW weapons as they are not allowed in the building and courtrooms. Court house is three blocks from the ferry docks. Might be an alternative. Call the Sheriff Dept. and ask. 360-417-2262

The lock boxes are located just inside the entrance door to the court house, on the right, just before the metal detectors.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he is driving up I5 I would ask Skagit Arms in Burlington.

PM me if you want any other ideas...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not a pro. But did visit Canada several times, they are tough on just about anything.
Storing the pistol with an FFL for a fee sounds reasonable. Clean & oil might take more service time than he has to spare.
For future reference I found this, includes other border restrictions.
No pepper spray allowed, etc. info.
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Have a friend of mine that will be road tripping from Colorado to the Northwest (Washington) later this summer.
He carries concealed always and is planning on a side trip to Canada and asked me what to do with his firearms while he crosses the border.
I thought maybe he should find a Gun shop or Smith in WA to leave his pistols with ( for a reasonable fee) while he border hops.

What do you Professionals suggest or offer?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
pawn one stores in spokane advertise safe firearm storage. I would imagine other pawn shops do the same?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
My suggested method is simple and effective.

DON'T spend any time of money in canada save it for use in a country where you have rights so you can carry the pistola.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4239 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
My suggested method is simple and effective.

DON'T spend any time of money in canada save it for use in a country where you have rights so you can carry the pistola.

Newsflash, you can't carry everywhere in the good ol US of A either.
Besides some people venture further abroad than their state line.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Any FFL holder that takes in firearms for storage, is required to have a yellow form completed and a background check run before releasing the gun to its original owner. Thats why someone advised taking it to a gunsmith for "cleaning". If they take it in for service/repair, no paperwork for you. If the shop owner agrees up front to have it ready on your return date, your home free. Woodhunter had a good suggestion, I would just make sure that they have no time limit on the locker.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of Woodhunter's comment, I have used self-storage places before for similar things.

You can usually find one with small lockers and just rent it for the one month. I think it cost $25 the last time I used one. 24hr access, your own lock, and you get it for 30 days.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear in mind that if you are not in the state you reside in, i.e. Washington or Montana, and you take your handgun to an FFL dealer, he can't transfer that handgun back to you as a non resident. I don't believe that a pawn shop that has an FFL can either. Long guns yes, handguns no.
Unless he's willing to do it under the table and that's not a good idea either.

The bus station locker or a friend would be my suggestion.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1101 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Well if I did not live in the area, I would gladly hold it for him in a safe until he could return to get it. With a contract of course to make him feel I wasn't going to steal it.

BTW, if anyone coming through AZ headed to Mexico, I would gladly store their firearm for them free of charge.

I actually knew someone that buried their gun close to the border for a month and dug it up on there way back. Lucky no one saw them and stole it.

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote