THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voere Tang safety ction for custom build?
 Login/Join

posted
Searching for a tang safety controlled round feed bolt action. After a long search for having someone convert a couple of old Rugers for this. I am now looking at the Voere 98 Mauser actions. I have a line on a couple of these one in 30-06 that will remain a 30-06 and a 7mm Rem mag that would become a 416 Ruger. Just the actions would be used new barrels, stocks and sights would be installed. These actions are whole rifles now they are 98 actions and even have the thumb cut out like the military 98 actions. Two questions first is there anything better out there and are these actions ok for builds or anything to watch out for. Thanks in advance. Oh and Tang safety and CFR is my required just because I want it and grew up with a tang safety Ruger and several shotguns. I really want a tang safety.

Posts: 10 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 24 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the Voere's used the Spanish Santa Barbara actions.

I have never owned a Santa Barbara action, but if I were going to invest a lot of money in the rifles, I might start with FNs or maybe the Mark X.

Maybe others have some experience they can share on the SB actions??

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can you point me to a gunsmith that can install a tang safety on these actions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am buying a Voere soon. With the tang safety. I doubt that it is Spanish.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I am buying a Voere soon. With the tang safety. I doubt that it is Spanish.

This reviews states the rifle is Santa Barbara based;

http://www.sportingshootermag....roved-mauser-sporter ... popcorn

quote:
"Voere’s Model 2155 and Model 2165 rifles have been on the market since 1965, and are based on the Santa Barbara Mauser ‘98 action made at the Spanish Military Arsenal at La Coruna in Spain with a number of variations. While it follows the classic Mauser ‘98
design, it is of new commercial manufacture and not a refurbished ex-military rifle."

However I do I recall inspecting a modern Voere factory rifle based on mil. M98 receiver, [thumbcut & charge slot]

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably will not change your mind...but a tang "safety" is only a block on trigger movement. It does nothing to actually block the firing pin, such as the original and three position or conversions on the bolt shroud itself.

That is my memory as well.

If I was only going with a trigger block safety on a modified mauser I would simply use a factory MKX trigger assembly.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
I've never seen a Santa Barbara action with a thumb cut. I suspect Voere used refurbished military actions in some cases.

I agree with thirdbite. The Santa Barbra actions do not have the thumb slot on the left side of the action. I have owned several of the Voere rifles with the tang safety and they were definetly not Santa Barbras, they all appear to be re-finished military actions.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ky Constable,

Sorry I started you on a wild goose chase...

Sounds like the Voere rifles that you are interested in are based on reworked surplus M98 actions. If they are good ones, I believe that I would prefer them to the SB actions.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys Thanks for all the insights. I really want a CRF with tang safety. I have been rethinking this regarding the blocking of the trigger only. Not sure if i shouldn't go with M70 type safety a be done with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not unheard of to have both.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Greener safety, very practical if you are using a military style trigger.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One could make a tang safety which blocked the striker but he would really have to want to do it. It would be necessary to modify the cocking piece and add to the tang. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that how castlebury (excuse the spelling) triggers are?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks fro replies. Have bought a 375 and 416 with M70 type safeties for a whole lot less than any project rifle would have cost. So thanks again and my wallet appreciates it.