Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Smiths
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Im getting set up to try some Express Blue at home, what should I use for bbl plugs? didnt see anything like that in the Brownells catalog..

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Wsternhunter---

I don't use plugs at all. I clean the inside of the barrel .....and all the places I don't want to blue, with acetone and then brush on a couple coats of fast drying stock finish. Using Flecto poly urethane will protect the bore for several boilings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A local "smith" has been hot bluing for years. He never plugs or otherwise protects the bore, claims the blueing process doesn't hurt the bore one bit. I've had three or four rifles blued by him over the years. All had new barrels and they all shoot quite well. Am I missing something?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack! Im guessing that a bore brush and perhaps some thinner will remove it afterwards?

Craigster,

I wont be using hot caustic salts, this is a slightly different animal and I think that some protection for hard to reach surfaces will be in order since it needs to be repeatedly boiled in water and carded.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK,so the Express Blue is a type of "rust blue"? I think you're explanation answered the question, sort of. But, is hot caustic blueing harmful to the bore? [Confused]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote