Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 FWT 270 WSM weight reduction
 Login/Join

<Caveman>
posted
Hey guys,

I am the proud new owner of a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 270 WSM. These featherweights, in WSM calibers, come weighing 7.5 lbs. If I wanted to cost effectivly reduce some weight on the rifle down 8 oz. or so, How would I do it? Without screwing up the accuracy!

I may not screw with it, I haven't decided yet. Thank you for any suggestions.

Corey

one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest and least likely to screw anything up would be to replace the stock with a fiberglass one....you can get a good 'glass stock down to 1 pound (the Brown 'Pounder)....McMillan stocks generally come in just under 2 pounds ready to go but I think you can talk to them about how it is "filled" and maybe save a few more ounces. Mark Bansner makes one that is around 22 to 24 ounces (HiTech stocks) and there is a company called Lone Wolf who make a ltwt model. I have had excellent results with models from Brown and McMillan and some friends have used Bansner's stocks with excellent results.....no experience with Lone Wolf except what I read in their brochure. Take a look at the McMillan website and go to the section marked "Internet specials" for some good deals on stocks....mostly ones that people ordered and never followed up on.

Your basic weight problem is the Model 70 action is heavy in comparison to the Rem 700 and it is expensive to start milling steel to lose weight and replacing factory parts with aluminum won't save that much weight and can get expensive.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Originally my M70 Featherweight/wood stocked gun went 8 lbs 1 oz. with it's 4X Leo.
By going to an ADL style McMillian Win. Featherweight stock, with graphite, which adds 2-3 ozs. to the stock weight, and using a painted, not moulded in color, which would have added another 2-3 ozs.; I saved some weight. I then went to a steel McMillian trigger guard and lost the SS TG & FP. All told the gun now weighs right at 7 lbs. 8 ozs. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
I have several Model 70's and I've accomplished your objective by restocking with Rimrock synthetic stocks..weight approx. 26oz. Great stocks!

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Phil R... you're a man of good taste. Two Rimrock's are arriving this week for my 270 and 338 WM M70's!

Corey, as was said, M70's are heavy. The WSM's in the "Featherweight" configuration are featherweight in name only as they have the same bbl. contour as the other WSM's. The M70 SA is around 3oz's lighter than the M70 LA.

Here's how I lighten M70's:

Use Vari XII scopes... they're lighter than the XIII's (2x7 Vari XII is 10.1 oz's).

Use Weaver bases and rings (very strong and light)... low height with bases included go 3.1 oz's total weight.

Use an Uncle Mike's "Mountain Sling"... 3.2 oz's (some leather sling's can go 1/2 lb or more!)

Cut bbl's back... my 300 WSM has a 22" tube as well as my 338 WM... something I wouldn't reccomend on a 270 WSM however!

Get a Rimrock/Borden or Bansner stock... they'll shed approx another 6 oz's over the factory stock. Currently only the Bansner is available for the M70 WSM's, though Rimrock are on line for the fall.

Eremicus's idea of going to the ADL style (no floorplate) is another solution to shave a few ounces... Personally I want floorplate's on my rifles, but that's just my own personal prejudice.

BA

[ 07-24-2002, 22:04: Message edited by: Brad ]

<Caveman>
posted
Thanks everybody! I found the website on the Rimrock stocks, they look like great stocks! However, we just had our first baby about two weeks ago, so I am a little short on funds. Getting the rifle was pushing it! How much do the Rimrock stocks cost?
The only available scope I have in my inventory is a Zeiss Conquest 3x9, so I'll have to use that one. Also, I love the Featherweight stocks, is there any modifications I can do to the stock?

Thanks for your help!

Corey

<Fireplug>
posted
You can save some weight for free and retain the wood stock you seem to prefer by removing non-structural wood with a drill and or router. The butt under the recoil pad is the first and largest area to work, but a bit can be drilled from the pistol grip and with skill and care some routed from the barrel chanel. Removing metal is better left to pros, but these old tricks from before glass stocks can shave some ounces on the cheap or free.

Fireplug