Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Commercial Mauser Identification
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking at a M98 small ring mauser that is merked "WAFFEN WERKE BRUNN" and "AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT" on the side of the receiver. The receiver has a proof mark an "42" which I assume is the proof date, on it. I am trying to determine what it is and whether it is a small ring small barrel shank, or a small ring large barrel shank action. Any insights would be appreciated.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Photos?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
It's in a shop where I can not take photos, but I can take another look at it.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Dave, I think it might be a SR/LT Kar98 as that's what the factory turned out after the Germans took over the Czech arsenals during WWII . Waffen Werke Brunn is what the Germans renamed the BRNO plant in Bystrica. The rifle will probably have a "swp" or "dou" code on it.

The G.33/40 small ring M98s were produced at the Brunn plant from 1940-1942 but they will have a DOT 1942 (or whatever production year) on the front ring as well as a G.33/40 stamping on the receiver sidewall.

There is an outside chance that the action you're looking at could be a VZ33 (SR/ST) commercial variant that was built after the Germans took over the plant. That would be a real prize. I've never heard of such a thing but who knows?

What makes you say it is a commercial action?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might be wrong, but I believe the Kar98s are all stamped that way on the left side of the action...Yes? No? Mine is, but I'm not sure which variant I have...

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

The rifle may be a redone military, but is set up as a sporter and has the classic germanic styling. In looking at the side of the receiver, the left sidewall is one continuous line through the receiver ring, the side wall is not visually smaller than the front receiver ring like either a G33/40 or a Large Ring M98.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one marked as you have described with pictures:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8847444

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle you are describing should be a wartime version of the commercial Brno 21/22 series. I have seem them with 1942 and 43 proofs, in various configurations, but they all had a solid left wall, with a stripper clip slot on top.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote