New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt squirlygigs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know how Neidner and others made the little lines that they used to decorate bolts on bolt actions and breach blocks on single shots? I have had plenty of people tell me how they "think" it was done, but has anyone actually read how they did it, or done it themselves?

Like this

Mr Petrov?

Thanks,
John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe its called "worm track" but sorry, I don't know how to do it.

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember a nice discussion three years ago aobut how it was done, with some examples. Do a search for bolt decorations, wormtracking or JBelk. I think G and Howe used this, and several English makers. I have thought this interesting, but not desirable, and have never tried to duplicate the look.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cratex shaped tip in a foredom or dremel tool and go around the bolt ad nauseum. Don't even try to be neat with your lines.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Chic, you probably figured out why I was asking.

Just FYI, I found the pic on gunbroker. The rifle is a shelhamer stocked m-70 in .375. The ad also has a picture of the original invoice from Tom Shelhamer. He was getting $225 for a stock and a $2/hr shop rate. This was in 1965.

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worm-tracking looks awful...

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Belk suggested using a round ceramic in a drill press. The ceramic is ground to a point with the point slightly off center.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was done with a dull pocketknife.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That pattern is caused by the interior finish of the bolt raceway. Looks to have a burr or two in there somewhere.

NRA Life member and I vote.
NAHC Life member

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Worm tracks is the technical term for these marks. I asked Petrov about them once and if I recall correctly he thought they were made with an etching tool. They are meant to hold lubication on the bolt and are not uncommon on pre war sporting rifles. I have a G&H 1903 sporter carrying a version of these and a Clayton Nelson 1922 made in the pre war style with worm tracks. Will try to upload some pictures later today.

Forrest Bowers

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote