Tools

Any one know about these?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one for a FN 1950 restoration. I think dpcd has used a few also. One neat thing about these is that they come in different headspace lengths. The bags they are shipped in display the headspace beyond standard. You can call and specify the length you need. I found this out by accident when the first one I ordered wouldn't close on a go-gauge or a live round. It was labelled +.015. I exchanged it for a +.001 and it worked perfect. I managed to find a FN bolt shroud, cocking piece and safety that functioned pefectly too.

quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
I love Sarco, BUT.

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m98-m...d-bolt-new-original/

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used at least a dozen of them. very nice bolts. As Bob said, they are made in different lug sizes, so one might not fit your rifle, but for me, I am fitting the barrel anyway so it doesn't matter.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those bolts have been floating around for a long time and do not meet any marking standards used by FN. Sarco also has a long history of being pathological liars, so I wouldn't believe their statements.

Are the bolts good? Well, dcpd says you has used at least a dozen of them, so I would guess they are good. I have a few I bought from the estate of a gunsmith quite a while back (before Sarco magically bought them from FN) they vary in hardness, but they are all hard. I haven't sectioned one to see what kind of hardness they have. Dimensionally the ones I have are all over the place, but they are all big, so at least you can machine them to fit.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Those bolts have been floating around for a long time and do not meet any marking standards used by FN.

Mine has the FN diamond on the bolt root. Since they were never in a gun they wouldn't carry the usual markings and numbering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Beats what is wanted for some mothy ones on fleBay and Sarco's shipping is astoundingly cheap to AK. I found out they show two, diff part #'s, one long and one regular. The longies are ten bucks more. Everything I do is from scratch so length is no matter.

#MSR517L
and #MSR517

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
We've got an FN Mauser .30-06 with 12-thou headspace. Would one of these bolts, say +.010, fix the problem?

Getting it to Australia might be another matter.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on why it has excessive headspace. If it is set back, then you'd have a hard time opening and closing the bolt. Otherwise, it should work.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote