New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Express Sight Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I started building a 7x57 as a 10 year anniversary gift for my wife about three years ago. We're about to celebrate our 11th so I thought it was time to at least get the sights made Smiler Here's a video showing the process. The front sight is almost a copy of the "masterpiece" sight NECG sells, but has a little cleaner look without the cut for the hood and release.
https://youtu.be/166Q_MFBsrQ

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work man! Incredible.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I can smell the dark cutting oil just watching the video.

7:35 X your $hop rate.
I'll take a dozen Big Grin

Too bad the attention span of the average youpotato can't comprehend the time you spent hand filing/polishing off camera.

Looks great

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You forgot material cost, which in this case is $200 an inch.
Nice work, especially the rotary head part.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks James! You couldn't be more right about Youtube. My last video has around 700k views and it's certainly resulted in a lot of emails and phone calls inquiring work. The conversation usually goes like this, "I've got a Ruger American with a plastic stock that I'd really like a walnut one made for". I respond, "sure we can do that for X dollars". Caller indignantly responds "That's more than I paid for the whole gun!!" I've broken a lot of millenial youtubers hearts this way Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
I can smell the dark cutting oil just watching the video.

7:35 X your $hop rate.
I'll take a dozen Big Grin

Too bad the attention span of the average youpotato can't comprehend the time you spent hand filing/polishing off camera.

Looks great

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Extremely well done video, excellent filming, editing and music appointments.
Well done
No wonder you get a bunch of response from your videos

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I enjoy making them and appreciate the feedback.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually I prefer the sounds of the machines to any music. Just me.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. If I dedicated time to filming I could make this happen but otherwise the radio's usually blaring in the background and the kids are in and out of the shop talking. It makes for a pretty hectic soundtrack. You probably also noticed that I sped up some clips to cut down on the overall length of the video. The original audio gets messed up when I do that.
I will try to get some usable audio on the next project though. Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Actually I prefer the sounds of the machines to any music. Just me.

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Wonderful video and awesome craftsmanship!

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top job! Did you taper bore or stretch it on? Hang on I just watched it again and it looks like you taper bored it.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! That's correct, taper bored.
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
Top job! Did you taper bore or stretch it on? Hang on I just watched it again and it looks like you taper bored it.