Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Gun Guild & Firearms Engravers Show
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
I just got back from Reno after attending this show. I can say that the state of the art in gunmaking and engraving has never been better. The works of art that many men (and women) in this field are producing today is astounding. Particularly encouraging is the unbelievable skills of many younger smiths and artists. Not too many years ago, these levels of skills were almost lost arts, at least in the U.S. I encourage anyone thinking about investing a lot of money in a custom or semicustom rifle or shotgun to attend this show or contact the American Custom Gun Guild for referals.

[ 02-03-2003, 08:24: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Interesting show but I had the feeling that, with a couple of exceptions, everything looked alike. While the skill level is high doesn't anyone have any originality? Like artists who paint pictures that are photographic quality it seems an excercise in execution not in creativity.

[ 02-04-2003, 18:54: Message edited by: Gator1 ]

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who won the raffle project this year? I guess it wasn't me because nobody called.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Gator1: I respectfully disagree. I thought there was a lot of variety in terms of different engraving styles, and the skill levels and executions of the engravers compares with the best there is or was. And I saw lots of different types of guns customized in various ways (very high quality single shots, double guns, handguns, takedown guns, scope mounting and integral sighting systems). There were lots of Mausers done up in various ways, big bores, not a lot of cowboy-type guns, although I did see a fair number of Colts. To me, the most encourging thing is that high quality engraving and gunsmithing is being taken up by a whole new generation. Some of the very best and most innovative work I saw was by guys in their 30's-early40's who have been practicing for a fairly short time. At any rate, I went away from the show with lots of ideas for new projects, and I know for sure who can do the work the way I want it done. Don't know who won the raffle.

[ 02-04-2003, 23:37: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Gator 1--

I too am completely puzzled at your comment. What do you want---the butt stock on the other end??

There are VERY few firearms shown at that show that are the same as you'd see anywhere else, but remember this.....the guns you saw were ORDERED by a CUSTOMER just like you saw them.

They are CUSTOM guns. Not all of them were designed to be different than the norm, just better made from better materials. That's what the customer wanted.

That explains the first maple stock and first laminated stock ever shown there and only the second Remington M-700.......but there were very few that recognized the latter.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Jack,

You're right about the 700. I would have never noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out.

It was nice to spend the time talking to you.

Gator,

Without wishing making this a "dog pile" on you, I must respectivly disagree. I was dazzled at the scope and skill of the workmanship I saw.

The engraving was incredible. I'm now both wanting to take the NRA engraving course this summer and at the same time wondering if I would just be wasting my time... [Big Grin]

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thank you for the respect to my post. I guess the more vitrolic posters aren't interested in the quality items. [Big Grin]

I never intended to be anything but complimentary to the quality of the work. It was, for the most part, outstanding. I particularly liked the .425/30-06 takedown, the small singleshot Sharps rifles and of course the set of Hollands.

I just feel that if you would put most of the rifles on the same table you could not have told who made which. It seems to me that the old timers all had their own individual style that set their guns apart, or at least, their 'school' apart.

Again, no slight to the quality, it is as good as anyone anywhere.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Did any of ya'll take any pictures? If so post some of them. Not to be rude, but not the ones of you and your buddies. [Razz] Just the rifles.
Did any one get a picture of this m700? What was it like?
I know David Christman built one and put a tange safety on it, as I'm sure others have. Just wondering where you can go with one?
By the way I talked to Mr. David on the phone today and he sounded kinda under the weather. Must have been that dry desert air. Not enough humidity for a southerner. [Big Grin]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Gator 1---

You're right about the styles becoming "settled" in the last 15 years or so.

When Goens, Beison, Shellhammer, Linden, Stegal, Mashburn and others were building rifles there were more differences between styles.

Now days I can ID quite a few makers by style, checkering patterns and conformation but the differences are much more subtle. There are also many more makers that can build to specifications instead of offering just one style, too.

The H&H style express rifle with the high-bellied cheekpiece and flat-top checkering by James Corpe was the best example of that, but I didn't get a picture of it.

I'll post some pictures of the M-700 soon. The stock is being checkered by Burnadette Duckett now.

Here's the Heilman take-down 425 / 30-06 set.

-

<JBelk>
posted
Steve---

If you like engraving (and by the drool and glassy stare I could tell you do) seriously consider taking a class. I've seen John Barraclaugh teach and he's clear, concise, patient and *good*. I pick his brain every chance I get......along with Rabeno, Bone, Welch, Smith, Gold, Wallace and anybody elso I can get to listen to questions.

You remember the square bridge Mauser on Eric Gold's table?? He spent 20 minutes explaining how he does such fine-line flush gold and how to sharpen the tools, strokes per minute and how to anneal and pickle the gold in one step!!
All those guys will usually explain processes and some, like Ron Smith and Eric Gold, will spend all day with you on design and art theory.

Here's the top of the square bridge......about the size of a postage stamp.

-

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I would have to say out of all the work that was displayed there, that Heilman's takedown was without a doubt the finest in the metalwork department.

Jack, do you have any closeup pics of the rear tangs on Heilman's rifle? If so, post those too. That's where you can really see the craftsmanship shining through, not only on the metal work, but the inletting as well.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Matt--

Good meeting you at the show.

You KNEW I'd have to take a picture of that extended tang, didn't you?? [Smile]

There's some very good video footage of Heilman tangs in the "Introduction to Custom Guns" available at ACGG.org too.

-

This add-on is incredibly hard to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:

This add-on is incredibly hard to do.

I bet it is! How do you implant the entire receiver into the tree so it can grow around it like that?

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Jack

Is that a tang safety and a bolt safety? How hard is it to convert to a tang safety?

<JBelk>
posted
Gator 1----

Steve uses a modified military trigger system with the tang safety blocking the sear. It's fairly easy to do. Simply a slide on the underside of the tang that blocks the space between the sear return spring cup and the tang. If you fill that space the rifle can't fire.

In practice the shroud safety is put in the straight up position to lock the cocking piece.....and block the sights to remind you it's on, and the tang "stalking safety" is carried in the "On" position. When the bearer hands the rifle to you the shroud safety goes to the left and the tang safety becomes the primary.

Gibbs made some 505s like this on the largest Mausers.

I've "flipped" several of Steve's tang safeties....they are sensually slick with a positive but totally silent detent in them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard, to me the one that stole the show was the guild rifle for 2004. The metalwork was done by Joe Peitz, the stock by Larry Amrine and the engraving by Gil Rudolph. It started life as a Mauser 98 and was shortened to make it suitable for use on .22 rimfire cartridge. An earlier Gem, the #9 rifle was done in a similar fashion by Jack Belk. Joe shortened this one by 1.75 inches and then he built the bolt. He also built the scope bases, the bottom metal and the integral fixture barrel. It literally blew me away.

I guess it is easy to get accustomed to seeing one of Steve's "Best Rifles" each year, they are still something to behold.

I will try to get some photos posted of the .22 soon.

[ 02-06-2003, 14:10: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote