New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newton rifles and cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for information on Newton rifles and cartridges for a research project. Most posters here have far more experience than I, and may know of publications or articles that refer to these arms. Barrel length, caliber, sighting, stock style, any unusual or custom features, or headstamp info on brass, date of manufacure, and pictures would be very helpful. I am familiar with de Haas, Elmer Keith, and Craig Boddington's information in their books on rifles. I have seen information suggesting that Charles Newton was a frequent contributor to the periodicals of the day in defense of his designs. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be most welcome.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
"Charles Newton - Father of High Velocity", Bruce M. Jennings, Jr., 1985, hardbound, 480 8-1/2 x 11 pages, 70 Metz Road, Sheridan,Wyoming 82081

An excellent book by the U.S.'s premier Newton collector. Back of the book contains many of Charles Newton's own articles reprinted from such publications of the time as "Outer's Book", "Outing", and so on.

AC
NRA Life since '62

[ 05-31-2003, 00:01: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC, you are da Man! That's just what I was looking for. I'll see if it's still available.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The least expensive way to find one might be to go to halfcom.com and do a search for it there. All of the used book dealers who sell through halfcom will be searched, and the results posted, in order of from cheapest to most expensive.

Works for me on most out of print books I want....

AC
Life NRA since '62
Life DCRA since '80

[ 05-31-2003, 10:04: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote