New
Find
Notify
Tools

p14 action
 Login/Join

<chris_m>
posted
Does any one know where one can get a p14 action? Thanks for your time an help in this matter.

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look through Shotgun News, also keep an eye on the auction sites -- they pop up occasionally. Some importer, Southern Ohio Gun I believe, imported some P-14 'Drill Purpose' rifles a few years ago -- I and at least one other AR member have actions from them. I have an ERA and a Remington, both nice, although the ERA is nicer. Winchester is preferred.

You may also want to put a post in Classifieds here and Hunt America, that's actually how I got mine.

Good luck,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
The two P-14s that my buddy is building his and my .338 RUMs on are from that batch of "drilling" actions.

You couldn't ask for much better lapping.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, how much work is involved in making one of these P14 actions into something like the .338 RUM? I'm happy for now with the .30-06, but ya never know when the bug will bite!

Must admit that at this point I'm probably going to stay conservative and keep mine some sort of '06 based cartridge like .338-06 or .35 Whelen. Mine is a Winchester by the way.

Chris, check with some rifle builders - oftentimes those fellows have old Enfield, Springfield and Mauser actions lying about.

Regards, Guy

[ 01-03-2003, 11:39: Message edited by: m700 ]

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Guy:

Understand, I just shoot 'em, I don't build 'em... but I do "help" a lot. (I hold lights, hand tools when requested, sweep the floor), so I do occasionally learn things about what needs to be done for any given project. For our two P-14s, he previously ate up a bunch of end mills on my first custom rifle, years ago, a .416 Remington Magnum, to remove the ears and lighten the thing a bit -- so, this time, he used a grinding/cutting wheel/pad on a Dremel which went a LOT better and a LOT faster. Mine wasn't so hard to work with, but his was a monster, he told me. Apparently, the heat-treating wasn't easily controlled "back then," so you either got "hard" or "super hard" or "diamond." Apparently, mine was a somewhat-normal "hard," but his was more like "diamond." Anyway... he got the ears ground off, and various other things removed/thinned, then he went to work with end mills to clean things up. As for magazine lengths, feed lips, so on and so forth... I don't know. It's a Winter project for both of us; he's doing mine first, then his. So, over the next couple of months, I'll learn more about the process than I know at the moment.

The .338 RUM case looks like... a small artillery case!

Russ

[ 01-03-2003, 22:50: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote