New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel buffing compounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I buff steel occasionally (not guns, I do those using stones and wet/dry paper). My polish o ray from brownells has dried up, and apparently there's no way to resuscitate it. I tried. I used up less than an inch on the two tubes that I have sitting here ruined.

I need new compound, and Brownells is out of the coarse grits anyway. So, looking at grease based alternatives, instead of the glue based with a short shelf life.

Anybody have recommendations on alternatives to polish-o-ray?

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used what Brownells now sell as the Satin-Glo polishing compounds

Starting using the old name for it back about 1988
I keep the tube upside down in a plastic drinking container with a bit of water with no more than an inch of polish exposed in the bit of water.
Am down to the small butt section of this old polishing tube, its small enough I have a hard time hanging onto it so will toss it
One tube lasts me about 5 years.

I just pulled a new tube out of the Frig last month, must have been in there about 5 years as I normally buy 2 tubes at a time
Its upside down in a new drinking container soaking in water so its ready to go now

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote