New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good gunsmith in the DFW area
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be moving to the Dallas area in Jan and would like to get some work done on a rifle. Since I'll be new to the area I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions on a good smith.

Here is the work I want done: I have a Model 1903 Mannilcher Schoenaur in 6.5x54MS that I'd like to get scoped. I have the mounts and need to get it drilled and tapped. This has to be a side mount on the back mount since this rifle has a split receiver. So I need someone that is really good to do the work since it is basically a one shot deal and needs to be done right. These rifles are getting pretty hard to find and I don't want the job butchered.

Before anyone gets their panties in a twist about ruining the value of the rifle, I'll state right now that isn't important to me. I will never sell it and don't care about whatever the value is after I'm dead and gone. I like using the rifle and my old eyes make it hard to use the open sights so if I scope it I can continue to use it.

So, do any of the members here know of a good smith in the DFW area I can check out?

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I hope you find one. I have a buddy in Arlington that is always complaining about not having a good smith in the area.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact the guys at Jackson Armory near SMU. They may be able to help.

Posts: 168 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 15 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you really believe that?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been stationed in NC for a long while now but 10 years ago David Clay and Dave Cockerel were the only two I would recommend. Clay can do anything but really likes lever guns. Cockerel worked for Elk Castle and did lots of general work.

For what you are wanting I would likely mail my gun to someone who does work on Continental guns.