New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 RSM stock reshaping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve got a Ruger M77 RSM in 458 Lott. The stock is a bit “chunky” around the action and forearm. Has anyone ever tried to slim one of these up? It has the piece of steel in the forearm that acts as a recoil lug, but I think there is enough room to thin the forearm a bit. If anyone is done this, I’d appreciate some pictures if possible. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 665 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have on tang safety 77s which had a lot of extra wood.
Take your palm sander with some 50 grit production paper and remove everything you don't want. I use a plane. In the forearm and sides; not on the butt or grip. No pics; those rifles are long gone.
Just look at a new Ruger Hawkeye and copy that.
However, on a 458, you need all the weight you can carry and wood to hang on to.
I also had one of the first RSM 375s, but I left the wood as was; it was a hog of a stock.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Take your palm sander with some 50 grit production paper and remove everything you don't want. I use a plane.

shocker

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NO idea what your little bouncing head is doing; might be that you do not understand something in my post; if so, say so.
I do note, that I left out the word "also".

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO idea what your little bouncing head is doing; might be that you do not understand something in my post; if so, say so.
I do note, that I left out the word "also".
Sorry, that was unintentionally cryptic. I don't have the guts to take a sander to my rifle stock. I'll sit the bench while the pros handle that! Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I looked at a Ruger Safari 375H&H that RJ Renner had slimmed down. It was a beautiful svelt rifle. I should've bought it.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Slimming them down is quite easy. However, realize that you have just destroyed $250 worth of checkering that must be replaced. $500 if you touch the grip, which does not need altering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
I looked at a Ruger Safari 375H&H that RJ Renner had slimmed down. It was a beautiful svelt rifle. I should've bought it.

I’d love to see one he’s slimmed down.

Sent from my iPhone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take your palm sander with some 50 grit production paper and remove everything you don't want. I use a plane. In the forearm and sides; not on the butt or grip. No pics; those rifles are long gone.
Just look at a new Ruger Hawkeye and copy that.
However, on a 458, you need all the weight you can carry and wood to hang on to.
I also had one of the first RSM 375s, but I left the wood as was; it was a hog of a stock.

I’m not quite brave enough to do the work myself. The barrel is heavy enough to add quite a bit of weight on its own. Just rounding out the squarish profile of the forearm would help quite a bit. Thanks for the input. I have talked to Renner about it, but I’d really like to see some examples of his work on the RSM. The way Ruger uses metal in the forearm to act like a recoil lug makes it a bit more complex with the two escutcheons, so the forearm can’t be shortened like Renner’s resembles. Just want to make sure I do my homework on this one. Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPhone