THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    300 Magum....Actions....Weatherby Mark V, Model 70, Rem 700 and Ruger 77

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Magum....Actions....Weatherby Mark V, Model 70, Rem 700 and Ruger 77
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
300 Magum....Actions....Weatherby Mark V, Model 70, Rem 700 and Ruger 77.

If you were to make a rifle in one of the 300 Magnums, and the rifle was to get a top grade barrel, reasonably good wood added or a McMillan stock, which of the listed actions would you pick and what would be your reasons.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pre-war M-70 and I'd make it a 300 H&H.

Why? Because it's the best non-M-98 action ever made.

<allen day>
posted
Mike, I'd get one of the current Model 70 Classic actions (pre-300,000 SN range) and have it totally reworked. I have two .300 Win. Mags that are built on this action with Krieger barrels, and they are incredible tackdrivers that'll keep five shots well-under a half-inch with premium bullets at 100 yds.

I spoke with my friend Kirk Kelso, owner of Pusch Ridge Outfitters in Tucson, AZ yesterday afternoon. He's been working with a new .300 Weatherby he had made that's also built on a current (extensively reworked) Model 70 action with a Krieger barrel. He's been getting groups of under .200" at 100 yds, around 1" at 300 yds., and less than 2" at 400 yds. with his handloads in that rifle (3-shot groups). Incredible accuracy, and he's e-mailed me a couple of his targets to prove it.

Now who the heck says you need a Model 700 action for some sort of "benchrest accuracy" advantage?

AD

<JoeR>
posted
Mike375, I'd go for the factory Weatherby. I believe all Mark V's are fitted with a Krieger barrel now, both in the standard and the magnum calibers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on which 300 Mike. For the Wby round, either a Wby action , or a Rem 700 (COL enters in to this). For the 300 Win Mag, it really doesn't matter, but I would probably avoid the Wby action because of weight (I might go with the Ruger 77 Mk I, because of the tang safety, and I think it just looks better then the new ones). For the 308 Norma, I would probably build it on a 98 derived action, just for old times' sake. Same with the 300 H&H, except I would use a Win 70 CRF action. If it was one of the new 300 mini-mags, I would probably go with a Rem 7 or 600 action for light weight, or maybe an intermediate length Mauser 98 to take advantage of COL again. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JoeR-The kreiger barrels used on weatherby rifles are not the high quality cut rifled barrels that are famous for their accuracy.Kreiger makes cheaper button rifled barrels for weatherby.The two are made by the same manufacturer but are not the same product.I myself would avoid the weatherby actions as the lugs are difficult to lap and they are heavier than most other actions.My own choice is the remington 700 as it is very easy to get them to shoot accurately and there is a great selection of stocks,triggers and accessories available for them at reasonable prices.My second choice would be amodel 70 action.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
My bolt action hunting rifle choice is the Pre-64 M-70 but a new one may be ok too. When your sitting there and you look down at your rifle I don't want to look at a M700 if you follow me. The M-70 looks like and is a real machine.

The M-70 also has the best trigger to get it right (myself) for a hunting rifle. Now my target rifles are Remington 40X single shots. I find that these rifles have an outstanding trigger, fast lock time and is easy to rebarrel but for a hunting rifle I want some style and that's why I also hunt with single shots, 99's and nice combination gun.

So the common sense thing to do is just to buy a M-70 of the kind you want and try it out. If you determine that the barrel for instance is not just to your wants then replace it, etc. Not many people can shoot a .300 magnum well enough to get small groups. I have done it with mine but not every time.

[ 10-06-2002, 01:59: Message edited by: Don Martin29 ]

posted Hide Post
I suppose I'd just build it on a Mark V since I'm not likely to use it on DG. If DG was in the plans, I'd build it on an M-70 since they don't make Mausers in LH.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Having done just as you discribed, I chose the current CRF Mdl. 70. I suppose for a number of reasons. One of which is I like CRF, and the function of a safety is a big deal to me. On top of this there are several sources for up grades from factory parts, that dont cost a fortune, and improve function. The trigger design is understandable, capable of being tuned/improved and safe without being complex. The length is there for a nice feed ramp, even for the longer 300s. Gas block on the left rail. The bolt release can be dressed up, and Hell yes just because I like the way they look, and know where I can get help, if something goes haywire.

Many Thanks
HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd like to maybe have my current rem 700 in 300rum turned into a 300 dakota once the barrel is gone on it. An ultra mag is just a bit too hot for barrel life but I really like the beltless case design. I'm also a bigfan of fast and flat but maybe the ultra mag is a little too fast for what I want. Time will tell.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote