Notify
Tools

Question about holes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy Gents,

Can the holes drilled into a Westley Richards/Mauser receiver for scope bases be filled such that they are hard to see? Or do you just have to put filler screws in and live with it? Sorry if it's a dumb question. Thanks.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Myself, I would have to see the particular piece before giving a quote, but yes, they can be filled.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll get a photo and post it as soon as I can.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about those guns, but can the holes be welded up, then ground down and finish-filed to ultimately make them invisible after a reblue? I assume this gun is in the process of being restored?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer,

I thought I was the only one that had problems with plugging holes until I sat in on an ACGG seminar on the subject and listened to some well experienced gunsmiths talk about it. Sometimes welded holes will show and sometimes they won't. The welding process can cause the plug and surrounding area to blue differently than the rest of the gun. Cold peening a plug into a properly prepare hole can work better than welding. The devil is in the details.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
Homebrewer,

I thought I was the only one that had problems with plugging holes until I sat in on an ACGG seminar on the subject and listened to some well experienced gunsmiths talk about it. Sometimes welded holes will show and sometimes they won't. The welding process can cause the plug and surrounding area to blue differently than the rest of the gun. Cold peening a plug into a properly prepare hole can work better than welding. The devil is in the details.

You first have to pick the right fill rod, but, you can eliminate most of the visual problems with the weld by carefully reheating the area surrounding the weld and allow it and the weld to cool together, like you would do to eliminate hard spots from a weld. Which is essentially what you are doing. This requires packing the critical areas with a good heat control paste, but it is very doable.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac

I've got a half a dozen pre-'64 model 70s that have been drilled and tapped for side mounts. If you can weld those up without showing you've got a bunch of welding to do.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Westpac

I've got a half a dozen pre-'64 model 70s that have been drilled and tapped for side mounts. If you can weld those up without showing you've got a bunch of welding to do.

Why did you drill them for side mounts? Big Grin

Go ahead, send me one. I'll let you clean up the interior and blue it. It won't look like it was in a fire either. Big Grin Don't forget the bolt and trigger in case I want to make me something. Big Grin