New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mod 70 Extractor Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Matt does your model 70 extractors also work on pre 64's. I might need to change mine.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ultimate Shadow will certainly not chamber an empty, and now I see that I must have the cast extractor as it has a hash mark on the end. This is my first model 70 and I was kind of disappointed that it did not work as advertised. Now I see I have to buy an extractor from Williams. Does it come with directions? I have never removed one before so I really don't know how to do it. I just bought the rifle from a distributor last month, and it is a short mag so it shouldn't be all that old, but evidently....... The internet is a great place just for all the things you can learn. I never would have known otherwise.

It also will not chamber a round unless I feed it from the mag either. Is this a product of the cast extractor also?

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is there a simple way to identify which type extractor is on a M70 Classic? This one is marked M-R on the inside and can be picked up with a magnet even though it looks like bead blasted stainless. Can't remember if 416 is non-magnetic. Would it be wise to pick up a new extractor and put the old one along with a spare ejector and firing pin in a hole(s) bored behind the recoil pad (properly wrapped)?
Thanks

The markings that you've described on your extractor are infact our extractor. The casted extractor used hash marks that were engraved on the nose of the extractor. We initiated a series of engrave marks on the underside of the extractor that indicates whether it's right or left-hand, magnum or standard caliber.
The markings are as follows:
M-R= Magnum Right-Hand
M-L= Magnum Left-Hand
S-R= Standard Right-Hand
S-L= Standard Left-Hand

Our extractors are pretensioned before they are shipped to USRAC, but during the assembly process there could have been some abuse that caused the extractor to loose it's tension. Bending the extractor as you did will cure your problem.

We have some of our customers who order 2 at a time for the benefit of having a backup, but I've yet to see one fail that was properly machined from good material.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the magnum stainless M70s that first came to Australian had this problem. I don't know if the problem is still occurring.

In our case Winchester Australia sent out new extractors. The fact they had them in stock suggests the problem was known to them.

I never saw any problems with the 270 actions.

So perhaps Winchester might send you a new extractor.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote