Find
Notify
Tools

Magnaport Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted
I have a 375 Ruger that I'm considering for Magnaport. Just wondering from folks experience here, how much recoil reduction should I expect? Also, how much increased noise is there as compared to a full muzzle break?

Thanks.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
over the years I have had numerous clients use magnaport and have done so myself on one occasion. shot a bunch of them. just my opinion and subjective. on handguns and rifles the recoil reduction didn't seem to be that great. what it did seem to do is cause the guns to recoil straight back and be more controllable. the noise level was a lot less than a brake but not that much more than an unported muzzle. like I said, just my subjective opinion

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had one rifle magnaported years ago. There was not much reduction in recoil. There was a reduction in barrel lift. And a "nice" increase in noise.

If your goal is to reduce recoil go with a break not magnaporting.

Magnaport or brake ALWAYS where ear protection. From someone with a 60% loss mostly from YEARS of shooting. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I EDM'd Magnaport style ribs in a 44 magnum Super Blackhawk about 12 0r 13 years ago.....a very fast and easy project btw

I can't say that the noise was more because this firearm was very hard on a shooters ears to begin with so I never fired it without good hearing protection.

I can say that the ports greatly reduced muzzel lift and wrist roll in my pistol

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
The Magnaport website states that it would reduce felt recoil by about 15%. They also do a Magna-brake that they say reduces recoil by 45%.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What they said; in my experience with it, Magnaport reduces muzzle flip, but not actual felt recoil. For that you need to release a lot more gas in another direction, meaning you need a real muzzle brake. Look at what artillery pieces use and you will see the most efficient ones are the ones that direct the most gas rearwards. They also make the concussion greater towards the shooter; not usually a good thing. Or look at a recoilless rifle in which all the gas is directed rearward. I have fired them, both 90 and 106mm, and there is zero recoil. It's all physics.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information everyone. It doesn't sound like that's what I'm really looking for. Sense I want some require reduction, and the porting adds significant noise anyway, might as well go with the break if anything.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sense I want some require reduction, and the porting adds significant noise anyway, might as well go with the break if anything.

tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Brake.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I fully agree with the above statements. No discernable recoil reduction, less noise increase as compared to a conventional muzzle brake AND recoil in a straight line.

For drive hunting, the Mag-Na-porting on my 9,3x62 Blaser allows quick doubling on running wild boars, thanks to the absence of muzzle jump.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I did it on my Mauser M03 375 H&H and 300 Weatherby - both light profile barrels - for the stated reason - reduce muzzle jump. It worked! Recoil never bothered me, it's always the damn muzzle jump I hate.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 300 Winchester Magnum barrels and two 375 H&H barrels for my Blaser R93's. All are identical sporter diameter. One 300 and one 375 are Magna Ported. I did a test shooting the ported and non ported barrels side by side.
Here are my findings.

RECOIL, I definitely can tell the difference. The ported barrels do not have the hard "wack" like the non ported barrels. Definitely more comfortable to shoot.

MUZZLE RISE. The ported barrels have a LOT less muzzle rise. Many times I can see the bullet impact on the animal.

NOISE. I do not notice any increase in loudness when shooting in the field. Shooting under a covered bench, or if someone is standing next to the ported muzzle would notice an increase in loudness.

Bottom line is, I like Magna Port. It is much quieter than muzzle breaks, and does not kick up dirt, snow, leaves, etc. when shooting prone.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Interesting! That's about as exact a comparison as someone could make.

quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have two 300 Winchester Magnum barrels and two 375 H&H barrels for my Blaser R93's. All are identical sporter diameter. One 300 and one 375 are Magna Ported. I did a test shooting the ported and non ported barrels side by side.
Here are my findings.

RECOIL, I definitely can tell the difference. The ported barrels do not have the hard "wack" like the non ported barrels. Definitely more comfortable to shoot.

MUZZLE RISE. The ported barrels have a LOT less muzzle rise. Many times I can see the bullet impact on the animal.

NOISE. I do not notice any increase in loudness when shooting in the field. Shooting under a covered bench, or if someone is standing next to the ported muzzle would notice an increase in loudness.

Bottom line is, I like Magna Port. It is much quieter than muzzle breaks, and does not kick up dirt, snow, leaves, etc. when shooting prone.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
very good explanation by N E 450 No2

I've used both and would never go with a full blown brake. Brakes are obnoxious, Magnaport is clean and effective, it's more like adding an additional 5 pounds to your gun because it turns the sharpness of recoil into a push.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I've seen a lot of anecdotal testimony...wonder if anyone actually has tested scientifically... scales, weights, pendulums..whatever

Duane,
Given your experience building rifles, I am curious what your results have been. I know it is also anecdotal, but nevertheless valuable.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have tested brakes with load cells, which do not lie and I know that almost all of them reduce the recoil by about 47% to 48% in magnum cartridges and about 30% in standards. My testing was not fair because I only used load cells which simply measured peak force and not acceleration. But the results are good enough to say that they do work quite well and ironically, just about all of them reduce the recoil about the same amount as long as there is sufficient hole available to vent all or most of the gas.

I have shot a lot of guns before and after Magnaport and to be honest, I could never tell the difference except for the noise. That does go up. But I'm a pretty light operator and I have to roll with a BB gun so that could be part of the reason I can't tell the difference. I have always wanted to put a load cell behind a before and after Magnaport job just for giggles and an accelerometer on the barrel just to get some hard numbers. It would be interesting just to see what it really amounts to.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. As others have said, Mag-na-porting reduces muzzle flip, not recoil, but the perception of recoil reduction can be profound. All of the following are Mag-na-ported except for the rifle with the obvious muzzle brake. I can honestly tell you the difference on the .500 A2 was amazing.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen a lot of anecdotal testimony...wonder if anyone actually has tested scientifically... scales, weights, pendulums..whatever

I visited Larry Kelly in Detroit in the 80's; me thinks 1986-1987 or thereabouts.

While I was there he asked me to translate a German document for him that was the results of a German DEVA test. He later related this was a result of negotiations for selling a license to Blaser, which they eventually opted for the Magna-Port rights and not the Pro-Port rights.

http://www.deva-institut.de/home.php

(Deutsche Versuchs- und Prüf Anstalt für Jagd & Sportwaffen=German Trial and Proof Institute for Hunting and Sporting Firearms).

DEVA had taken an unported rifle (an FN Mauser 7mm Rem Mag IIRC); shot it and recorded the results; then had the barrel Magna-Ported and further conducted the same set of tests. How they did the testing; I do not know; I was only privy to the results.

The largest advantage was reduction in muzzle flip and it was pretty significant; IIRC somewhere @ 15%-17%.

Recoil reduction was not a significant advantage; <5%.

..... and yes, there was (although with my hearing loss ..... anything's possible) was a 3db increase in muzzle blast.

Muzzle velocity loss after porting was also pretty insignificant at around 3 m/s; so @ 10-12 fps.

I've got two muzzle brakes on Blaser barrels, a 25-06 Rem and a 300 Weatherby and two Blaser barrels that are Magna-Ported, a 9.3x62 and a .375 H&H Mag. Both Magna-Ported barrels were purchased used and already ported. I don't know that I would have gone through the expense to have them ported if I had purchased them new.

The Muzzle Brakes (Vias) work superbly; recoil reduction and muzzle flip are seriously redcued on both barels but come with the disadvantage of extremely increased muzzle blast and therefore the requirement of wearing ear muffs when shooting them. I can only say forgetting to drop your muffs (if they're pulled up over the ears) is something you most likely will not forget the second time as the blast is very painful.

The Pro-Ported barrels seem to have much less muzzle flip when using them and despite the 3bd increase; well, it's not something I've seemed to notice although on Drive Hunts with the 9.3x62 barrel I wear hearing protection. The .375 used almost exclusively in Africa and there I elect not to use any sort of hearing protection.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote