Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 70 SA stock modification
 Login/Join

posted
Question for you "stock smiths". I'd like to know if it is feasible to modify a mod 70 featherweight SA stock to fit a long action receiver?

Why am I considering this you ask? Because I am left handed and my only options in getting a featherweight stock were either 1. The custom shop (New Haven plant is closed now). 2. A WSM caliber - don't want one. This week I came across a SA checkered featherweight stock in very good condition. I love that featherweight checkering and the stock itself just fits me.

Before I make the purchase, and embark on the project, I'd like to know from you guys with experience if this alteration is doable - or should I just stick with the long action sporter stock?

Thanks.

Posts: 9 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe. See if there is enough wood to extend the receiver inletting. And for the barrel shoulder.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try CDNN they have lots of model 70 original stocks. May have left hand but not sure. Prices are cheap. Modifying a short to long would not be fun.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here u go

thank srose

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
dpcd - There appears to be enough room to my eye, but I am not sure if the movement forward in the wood is will be enough to to have a solid place for the recoil lug to rest (?). I'm not clear on the dif in length between a SA mod 70 and the LA mod 70 actions. If someone here knows, please chime in. Smiler

srose & idahoelk101 - Thanks, CDNN is where I was looking. I guess what I am really saying is, I want my next rifle to be a .270 Win in a featherweight stock. Not interested in the WSM. Modifying the SA model may be my only chance.

srose - I am a neophyte when it comes to altering a stock, so when you say "it would not be fund" modifying a SA to LA - can you elaborate a bit please? I am trying to determine if I can pull this off myself, or no.

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gundog,

When I said it would not be fun I meant it. There is about 1/2 difference in the two stocks. The back of the actions are the same so no problem there. With a dremel tool and some glass bedding you could move the front forward and one of the WSM stocks might have enough meat ahead of the action to work. Being a feather weight stock the thickness at the barrel shank portion of the stock might be thin after you move that part forward. You may have to add fiberglass to the sides of the stock. This would mean refinishing the stock. As you see one thing leads to another. Yes I think it might be possible to do what you want. If you like playing with fiberglass and dremel tools go for it. Those stocks from CDNN are cheap enough that if you screw it up you have not lost much. I would say you would need to pillar bed the action for strength which I would do anyway. Hope this helps.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Featherweight 270 Win barrel contour is way different than a WSM contour. Lots of ugly glass will be showing, or a ditch down each side of the barrel!

posted Hide Post
A7drvr - Thanks. The difference in contour is something I had not thought of. The barreled action would be coming from a Mod 70 LA sporter. Perhaps the WSM and Sporter contours are the same??

FN could sure make this easier for me if they would just make the mod 70 again in left hand and offer the LA in the featherweight. Has anyone heard whether the Mod 70 will be offered in lefthand anytime soon?