New
Find
Notify
Tools

It is time to quit and move on
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I believe that it is time to take the Stockmaker Show and Tell down and let some of the people still working to post some of their own projects. I have asked Jeffesso to place this into the regular flow of topics. After 3 1/2 yrs. and 54427 hits as of today it must be a subject which lots of people are wanting to learn. I am asking for it to stop on Oct. 1st so anyone wanting to download the information will have time.

I have had many request on this topic of stockmaking and hope that I have helped someone become a stockmaker in the future. My start was when Keith Stegall wrote articles for the American Rifleman magazine in the 1950's. At that time there was not too many stockmakers around to help people. The PC has opened up the line of information for all to see and learn this trade. There is room for all levels of stockmakers. I don't consider myself as a top stockmaker, but have tried to make stocks as requested by our customers.

The Guild has been working for 30 yrs and I never wanted to join. I went to number 3 in Los Wages and never returned. The company didn't support the Guild and I had to go at my own expense. This company paid me very well to help run the business. A couple of custom stocks per year was to help bring customers into the store. Sales made much more for the company than custom rifle stocks. We had 4 fulltime gunsmiths most of the time and sales. The shop paid for most of the wages for the employees.

I will still check in on the forums from time to time, but will not get into the argument and arrogant replies.

Thanks to all, best to you in custom stocks,

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les, Each should try to fufill their stewardship obligations to future generations. Your willingness to share your knowledge is indicative not only of your love of the trade but also shows how fine a man you are. And yes, you have helped educate more than a few stockmakers of the present and future. Thank you from all of us. ...With Greatest Respect, David L Wesbrook

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope this doesn't get posted twice but just had a little computer glitch.
I for one would like to see it left up. I have learned a great deal from this thread and since there are many new members joing AR regularly I would like to have them have the same opportunity. Gunsmiths with your skill level are few and far between and those willing to share their work procedures with others are fewer still.
That being said, it is your decision, I just think it would be doing an injustice to those who won't have the opportunity in the future to learn from your thread.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Les
I agree with Dave and Mike. You can leave the thread and ask for it to be locked. It would sit at the top of the page as a static educational tool like a text book.

You generosity is amazing and I am glad that we have had the opportunity to learn from you.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can leave the thread and ask for it to be locked. It would sit at the top of the page as a static educational tool like a text book.

I agree with Jason.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree, just have Jeffe lock it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yep lock it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
please keep it up. Thanks Mr. Brooks for a wealth of information.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's too much good info in that thread to just "let it go", Les. I've seen "Making it Feed" and "Bolt Face Diameters" as 'stickies',, "Stockmakers Show and Tell" should be there, too. I'd say LOCK IT! But, it's your thread,,, up to you. I think it would be a great loss to all who might be at least interested to "Let it Go". By the way, the pattern mill is coming along nicely, thanks for the encouragement.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a wealth of information that can't be replaced- enough thanks cannot be given for it, and I'd vote to leave it available, locked.

Most importantly, quoting from above:

"But, it's your thread,,, up to you."

And your decision will be abided.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PLEASE leave it up and lock it!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Les, you are too modest. This thread is a lifetime of study, experience and instruction compressed into one project. Don't let this article get overlooked and lost. It is full of accurate information, instruction and inspiration !

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave and lock, please.

Thank you.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
God Bless Les. You are a dying breed unfortunately.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied concerning my Stockmaker topic. I hope I have helped some of you with your stocks.

Last week I met a lady (95 yrs) that was a close friend of Keith Stegall. I had one of his stocks to study for a few minutes. She had pictures of Keith and his wife. The rifle was very nice and had only been fired by Keith checking the scope. The lady had it made for her husband in the '70's. She had a very good memory about the shop and visits with the Stegall's.

I thought it would be fitting to post about Keith as I am thinking about whether to take the article down or let it stay locked in place.

Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote