New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith that will rechamber a Steyr ProHunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of a good smith that is willing to work on a Steyr ProHunter? I have one in 6.5X57 that I am wanting to rechamber to 6.5X65 RWS, 6.5X68S or if possible 6.5X284. I have looked around and I have been unable to find anyone who works on these rifles. I have a Sako in 6.5X55 so looking to up the ante. Both shoot less than MOA with handloads, but are basically the same velocity wise. I got the Steyr for a song and the Sako is a pristine 20 year old AV model so thinking the Steyr. Plenty of folks will work on a Sako but have not found anyone who works on Steyrs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that no gunsmiths are capable of doing this or are afraid? Several will work on a Sako, I guess a Steyr is beyond the capabilities of US gunsmiths? I did not think that a rechamber was so difficult, but then I am not a gunsmith.. LOL

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'm not afraid, I just don't have those two particular reamers you are wanting chambers for.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 10 July 2009 11:20 Hide Post
I guess that no gunsmiths are capable of doing this or are afraid? Several will work on a Sako, I guess a Steyr is beyond the capabilities of US gunsmiths? I did not think that a rechamber was so difficult, but then I am not a gunsmith.. LOL

from what i get out of this post i'd say you'll have a bit of trouble finding a smith willing to work for you

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:
Posted 10 July 2009 11:20 Hide Post

from what i get out of this post i'd say you'll have a bit of trouble finding a smith willing to work for you

That is gonna leave a mark. rotflmo

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithrjd:

I don't think the 6.5X284 will clean up your chamber unless the barrel is set back several threads, which messes up the stock barrel groove relationship. The other two you mention should do it, though. Maybe if you offered to rent a reamer you could find a smith willing to do the job.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac thank you for the reply.
Yesterday was one of those days so I was in a foul mood. Thought I would stir the pot a bit, expecting to get some flames.. I agree that the 6.5X284 would not really work. How about the 6.5-06? should like the other two have the same head diameter and be longer than the 6.5X57. I looked into getting the rifle rebarreled but again not something easy to do. Was told that the Steyr is heated prior to turning the barrel in and moving or rebarreling is not like most rifles. I was thinking a rechamber given a caliber that measures out should be OK. If all I would need to do is get the reamer I would be more than willing. The magazine for the 6.5X57 is the same as the 30-06 as I have both and both function perfectly in the rifle with 6.5X57 rounds.

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I could do the work you would like and I have a 6.5-06 A.I. reamer. The difference between the 6.5 X 57 and 6.5-06 is small. I'm not sure you would gain enough to make it worth while. It is possible to get the barrel off but you almost always damage the finish on the receiver. If you would like to discuss it my e-mail is tapii2@msn.com.

Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
having had 6.5x257roberts improved (same as a 6.5x57 improved) and then rechambering it to 6.5x.270 improved, i'd say stick with the 6.5x57. the gains you'll see from the '06 case ain't worth a hill of beans in the real world of dead animals.... the 57mm.case will get the bullet out there just as good.
if you doo anything at all, have your 6.5x57 turned into an ackley improved, you'll get just as much from that as you will from the '06 case and it will still shoot factory 6.5x57 ammo real well.
redding makes dies...."6.5x257roberts ackley improved" they call them.
one of my future projects is to return my gun to 6.5x57 improved as it was before i had it rechambered for the .270 case i have had nothing but problems with the 6.5x.270imp'd chambering.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
.... unless the barrel is set back several threads...

Aren't the SBS's barrels sweated/pressed into the receiver instead of being threaded?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted
Aren't the SBS's barrels sweated/pressed into the receiver instead of being threaded?

In one sense it dosn't really matter whether the Steyr barrel is threaded or not.

If the new chamber isn't big enough around and long enough to clean up the old chamber, the barrel is going to have to be "set back" before rechambering anyway, right?

If that isn't done, the fired brass is gonna look a tad peculiar and/or potentially have some real headspace or stretch problems.

What that does bring up though, is how one is to get a pressed-in heat-fitted barrel out and back in securely, or whether one wants to rechamber such a barrel while still "in-the-action". IF the barrel is not threaded, that is.....

Personally, if I was going to change the Steyr, I'd find out for sure in advance just how the barrel is retained in the action, then discuss with some bona-fide 'smiths such as Westpac whether I wanted to thread the action and rebarrel it with a threaded barrel, if need be.

Of course I probably wouldn't do that to the Steyr anyway. If, instead, one was to just remove the Sako barrel, and re-barrel it, he could always put the original barrel back in place later if he wanted.

That probably won't be possible with the Steyr, IF it needs to have receiver threads cut after removing the original barrel.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the easiest solution is to do nothing, and just make up a couple hundred 6.5X57mm rounds for it..........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote