Notify
Tools

Sweat On Sling Swivels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Gentlemen,

Are the distances from the front of the forend using banded swivels vs. this kind

- different?

And, what is the customary distance from the tip of the wood to the swivel?

Thanks.

[ 04-28-2003, 06:54: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really want one of those! Can they be installed without rebluing the barrel? And is it something most gunsmiths can handle? Anybody know what a decent price for this work would be?

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Roger--

About 2 inches depending on the length of the fore end. Count on about 26 inches between sling mounts. Long barrelled English rifles usually had the rear mount close to the back of the grip to move the front mount out towards the front so the muzzle would ride lower when carried.

Sean---

The old blue has to removed and the new part soldered on......I wouldn't trust epoxy in pure tension, which is what this is........the barrel has to be reblued after installation.

Expect $50 to $75 for just the soldering......more for blueing and parts.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Mr. Belk, thank you. I saved that little gem into my pile of saved "how to" things. [Smile]

Sean, you can find those at www.newenglandcustomgun.com

[ 04-28-2003, 09:07: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger and JBelk.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Roger - if you want to avoid rebluing ...

i)position the sling mount
ii)scribe a line around the foot
iii)carefully sand away all the bluing inside the scribed line
iv)paint the bluing outside the scribed line with Tippex (typist's white correcting fluid)
v) tin the barrel
vi)do iii), iv) and v) to the foot of the sling mount
vii)wire the sling mount in position
viii) apply heat
ix)clean off Tippex
x) clean off any excess solder with a razor blade.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote