Notify
Tools

Barrel timing vis-a-vis Savages?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I've watched this dvd several times:
Barrel Chambering

In the video and elsewhere I seen the topic.of timing the end of the barrel's miniscule curvature so it points up, not left or right. But with the popularity of home hobbyists rebarelling Savages in recent years, this never really comes up. How important is this and is it.possible with the savage system that doesn't have a shoulder, just the nut instead?

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do a lot of planning and set up to get the bend pointing upward or you can cut and try.

On the Savage I think I would do a little planning and depend on adjusting it a little with a fit check.

How important depends on how crooked the barrel is.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is not important at all in a hunting rifle. With a nut, you could tune and re-cut the chamber until it was oriented like you wanted it. If your barrel is bent that much, don't use it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input. I figured it was just a 10/10ths thing for wringing every last bit of accuracy out of the metal. "Bent" is probably extreme for what the dvd showed. IIRC the barrel was elevated ~.0003in.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well if they are worried about .0003" I wonder how much the barrel droops just from gravity??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, when I fit barrels, I couldn't tell if a barrel was not straight by .003, much less .0003. Many barrels are not perfectly straight though; most people don't know that. There are 2 schools of thought on that; straighten them, or leave them alone, thinking that straightening might induce stress.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Essentially, the video demonstrates a technique that is an attempt to differentiate his work in broad market. I'm certain there's nothing terribly wrong with the technique but much of it is unnecessary.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to see something approaching a cartoon look through a cheap barrel turning at 30 to 50 RPM. They will normally be flopping around like a jump rope.
The first time I did this nearly caused me to topple over. A friend of mine needed the neck of his Remington Hepburn in .40-70 Sharps Straight opened so he could use groove sized bullets. I had the neck dialed in and out of curiosity I looked through the bore to make sure I was not somehow fooled by a stuck indicator. The chamber was running perfect and the rest of the bore was flopping what looking like 1/16".

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked through a cheap Chinese pellet gun barrel once and actually could not see daylight at the other end, though the outside appeared straight.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I've cut down Mosin and Com block barrels with the same result anywhere back from the muzzle the bore is not concentric with the od

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote