New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser double set trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are thinking about making a Mauser double set trigger.
What do you think?

Also our website is working!!! clap

Maggie Baum
CNC Specialty Products
P.O. Box 369 / 50 East 100 North
Levan, UT 84639
Phone: 801-691-8152
Email: maggie@cncspecialtyproducts.com
http://cncspecialtyproducts.com/

Posts: 102 | Location: www.cncspecialtyproducts.com | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I don't think there would be alot of demand for it but JMHO. I think there is more demand for bottom metal, particularly if unit costs can be reduced with greater production.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maggie, talk to James Wisner. The best, absolutely the best, 2-lever DST I've ever used came from his shop years ago, I don't know if he still makes them or not. He can give you a perspective that no one else can.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love 'em, but already have one on my Mauser

.....and it's used primarily for Drive Hunting!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I don't think there would be alot of demand for it but JMHO.

+1

I had a double set trigger that my Step Dad had on his M-98 action chuck rifle right after he returned from WW II. I think there are couple of things going against them. The design has a lever in the bottom unit that springs upward when the front trigger blade is pulled. It in turn hits a "kicker" above it that rotates upward disengaging the sear, kind of Rube Golbergesque. The lock time is long.
For me, after setting the rear trigger, when I went to pull the forward trigger blade, my finger was way out of position, too far forward for any kind of a natural trigger pull.
It was a Rancounas (sp?) trigger.
I still have it somewhere in the bottom of the stack of parts I have, never to be reinstalled.
For me, a good single stage, or better, a great two stage trigger are best. I can get "into" them, and that translates into great shooting. There was no great shooting with the double set trigger as I was always fighting the let off trigger that was too far forward. I couldn't dance with it...if you get the drift.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market for one now myself.

What do you think the price point will be?

Good idea to have those in your inventory. When people need them, they need them.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Mauser 98's with DSTs; I love them. SOME people at least, are able to make them work...like 99% of the competitors in the black powder single shot rifle matches. If they were not an advantage, SOMEBODY!! would buy the single trigger models/options.

I'd be interested.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
howabout some DST bottom metal.???

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a double trigger on a 8x57 that my grandfather brought back from Germany. Great light trigger when set, but I can't see how it could be used in the field. As someone else mentioned, I need to move my hand way off the grip to reach the front trigger. In my opinion, a good single or even better, a crisp double stage trigger is what is required on a real hunting rifle

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a set trigger is available for any of my rifles then I try to acquire & install it. I love 'em, period (but not end of discussion, G).

I own and use SSTs (both types), DSTs, Schuetzen DSTs and CCDSTs, mainly on single shot rifles but several bolt actions as well. Kepplinger, Canjar, Anschutz, Winchester, Wisner, Rice and others. The most-recent 2 Mausers I'm building for myself both have DSTs.

Have been conducting accuracy test comparisons with many set-triggered rifles for over 20 years now, comparing benchrest accuracy in the same rifle when using the triggers set vs unset. RFs, CFs, light barrel sporters, medium weight varminters and heavy bench guns, low powered hunting scopes and Unertl target scopes, etc etc. I've learned a few things over the years:

Set triggers are simple and easy to use, but require some small amount of practice to ensure proper operation when hunting. The shooter is well-advised to dry-fire the rifle as often as possible until thoroughly familiar with the triggers' use, both set and unset. Just be careful that you don't shoot the TV for real!

Set triggers will cause a slight (~8%-16%) decrease in benchrest accuracy but will almost always significantly improve the shooter's field accuracy, especially when using an unsteady rest or from the offhand.

IMO a person who can't learn to use set triggers properly in maybe 20 minutes of practice....well, let's just say that I don't wanta be in the same woods with them if they have a loaded gun of any type!

If you say that you can't use a DST because of the 2 triggers' different positions, then how can you use a double-triggered shotgun? I reject that particular justification as being mainly from folks who aren't familiar with the triggers' use. If you don't like 'em, fine, don't use 'em, but don't condemn the triggers just because you can't master them!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like & like the looks of DSTs & have several Mausers with them installed. There are several places they can be purchased already - NECG / Brownells comes to mind. Most are a unit that one installs into the trigger guard. The BRNO 21H is different as the DSTs are a part of the trigger guard foorplate assembly. For some like Duane who is producing bottom metal it would not be difficult??? to provide a Brno type DST arrangement / a DST unit installation ready bottom metal. JM2cents W --- John 303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a DST that came on a commercial FN 98 Mauser. It works well now that it has spent time with a smith, but I doubt I will ever bother with another- plenty of fine after-market triggers to fit my other Mausers.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John303.:
I personally like & like the looks of DSTs & have several Mausers with them installed. There are several places they can be purchased already - NECG / Brownells comes to mind. Most are a unit that one installs into the trigger guard. The BRNO 21H is different as the DSTs are a part of the trigger guard foorplate assembly. For some like Duane who is producing bottom metal it would not be difficult??? to provide a Brno type DST arrangement / a DST unit installation ready bottom metal. JM2cents W --- John 303.

You know...I kind of like the looks too...My partner, Steve Yamagishi was up here to WA this weekend and we discussed the mfg of suitable bottom metal...great minds...etc etc...
I am receiving a smaller Vertical CNC machine on Monday with the express purpose of filling the needs of smaller special runs..THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING...just an idea

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a longtime fan of the 21H except for the bottom metal, the mag. well is made of sheet metal, a surprise for me the first time I took one apart. I am having a friend modify a 98 Mauser trigger guard to take the 21H triggers etc. Hopefully either Lovebug / Duane can get their hands on 21 bottom metal to see the set up. I would especially be interested in someone replicating the triggers (sort of generic) only, it amazes me how many DST's are missing the rear trigger. --- John 303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maggie, IMO a copy of the usual aftermarket Mauser DSTs would not sell well enough to justify the setup expense. This area is already well-covered by several other makers, the market's not exactly saturated but there are plenty of fairly-priced examples already around.

However, that doesn't mean that DSTs built into new bottom metal wouldn't sell well! I've installed plenty of the usual add-in type but I've never been happy with the fitup job, the parting line is always visible on mine. A built-in DST would look much more professional, especially on a quality custom.

Concerning your idea for a single-set trigger, I think it could be a great idea if developed properly. The Kepplinger unit is OK, again I've installed some of them on Mausers as well as Rugers, but it's sorta cheesy compared to the old Canjar unit. The Kepplinger unit is an over-center design like the old Remington and its set pull is slightly mushier than the Canjar or even the old Winchester. The Canjar/Winchester design is an adaptation of an earlier European design seen on combination guns, and is far superior IMO to the Kepplinger design.

My point is that a Canjar-type SST would appeal to a different clientele than the Kepplinger for a number of reasons. The Kepplinger IMO is pretty sad in some ways and I for one would strongly consider a higher-priced alternative.

Also, and this is perhaps the most important part for you, the Canjar design is quite easily adapted to existing (G) trigger designs, both as original equipment and also as an aftermarket add-on to already-installed triggers. It would be relative child's play for your good toolmaker to fab jigs for each manufacturer's trigger shape, for you to machine them to accept the SST shoe. Or you could offer all the parts for installation by the owner or his smith (for example I once used Canjar parts to fab a nice SST for one of my Sharps Borchardts, just to name one possibility).

Or as an option on a new trigger that you supply, hint nudge.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to play favourites / hi-jack Maggie's topic, but here is the deal. If anyone is interested I can make and provide detailed, full sized drawings of the DS trigger assembly as in 21H Brno bottom metal. At the moment I have a Brno apart for cleaning so no big deal, I would need a PO addy. --- John 303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have no problem with that. This is just an idea we have been thinking about.

Maggie Baum
CNC Specialty Products
P.O. Box 369 / 50 East 100 North
Levan, UT 84639
Phone: 801-691-8152
Email: maggie@cncspecialtyproducts.com
http://cncspecialtyproducts.com/

Posts: 102 | Location: www.cncspecialtyproducts.com | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original Mauser DST was engineered perfectly, using the standard bottom metal. Brno and M-S also did a nice job, although they required a seperate bow triggerguard.

The biggest fault of the other commercial and custom attempts is that the front trigger ends up being too far forward, very close to the guard.

A copy of the Mauser or Brno would be most welcome, especially if it is integral with the bottom metal.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set triggers of any kind is something the devil invented in anger.

It is the biggest cause for misfire i ever came across. Even very rutined shooters i feel uncomfortable beeing around, when they are armed with rifles with set triggers.
So for the safety of your company, and everybody beeing near a shootingarea, dont produce this trigger type.

Better go for making a decent triggersystem.

Out of apx 20 misfires i personaly whitnessed 16 was performed with rifles with set triggers.
Only 10% of the rifles i have seen when hunting has ben with set triggers, but still those 10% counted for 80% of the misfires i whitnessed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canjar Single Set triggers... thumb thumb
Build something like these fine set triggers!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been stumbling along in this business a long time...I don't thnk I;ve had more than a half dozen requests to install DST ...usually on Mannlichers to bring them back to "original style"

As for the Canjar system..I think I've replaced and disgarded at least as many of the SST systems that I installed over the years.

If you really...really gotta have a SST, take a close look at the CZ 550 system...don't get much better!

A DST bottom metal. trigger assembly would be a blast to make...I bet a dozen would sell immediately...Unfortunately, we find the break even number is around 80...but we're optomistic...you know...take a loss and make it up in volume....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have them on some 21/22 series rifles, on the lovely old Wm. Oschatz Mauser in 9.3x62 I had and I honestly detest them and always have since I hunted with my first 21H in 1965.

While I do not alter original, minty classic rifles such as ZGs and 21/22s or P-64s, FNs or Mann.-Schoens., I do replace the triggers and stocks on beaters and my latest acquisition is a Recknagel trigger to fit my 21 action for an eventual custom .280 Rem.

For hunting, any decent Timney or Sako trigger will work on these Brnos and, with a good synthetic stock, they make up into the best rifles I have, from a utilitarian p.o.v.

Each to his own, my buddy loves DST and can handle them well, but, he IS German by birth and maybe that helps! Smiler Smiler Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like to hunt with DST, but my primary hunting rifle is not equipped. I'm with Duane on Canjar, have replaced more than installed. This pic of a 1900's vintage German Mauser with triggers built into the guard bow. (I can't imagine this being currently financially viable?!)

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maggie

How would yours be different than the ones that are available from New England Custom Gun Service?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert in this field but it seems to me that things are getting overely complicated, anyone producing bottom metal already is about 90% there in producing DST bottom metal. Please explain how changing the trigger cut from single to a DST unit / as on a Brno is not $ feasible. Perhaps even offering the bottom metal with no trigger cut would more $ feasible and give one all kinds of options for various types of triggers. JM2Cents --- John 303.