THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I dunno what this would cost, but I can't afford it.......

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I dunno what this would cost, but I can't afford it.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
.....found this while searching for engraver information.....at over 16,000 man hours I suspect it's more than most Remingtons.....

Peter Hofer guns

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Lots of T & A for a rifle. I like the music.
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd guess it's up there with Holland & Holland. Their rifles are more expensive then their shotguns, Close to then exceeding 100K Sky's the limit or the depth of your pocket book

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, I don't know, but I'd bet serious money that you can't come close to buying that rifle for $100,000 new price, meaning not on the secondary market.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Peter Hofer is to a gunsmith as Rembrandt was to a house painter.

At his booth at SCI one year, I saw a couple of his double rifles. One was a .17 caliber rimfire and the other a big bore nitro express, I forget which caliber.

They were breath-taking. Hofer makes masterpieces and masterpieces only.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hoferwaffen.com/hofer_53.php?lang=en

What does one call that "style" of engraving? Specifically on the .338 Lapua?

I like that, a lot!

Doug

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I heard somewhere he worked for Art Alphin's. Any truth to that?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, he could sell that stuff as framed intaglio artwork.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Wow! Eeker

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, fantastic and the music is great!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

I doubt you could get an appointment to look at that rifle for $100,000! 16,000 hours of work! $10.00/hour=$160K. I used to work with mold makers at the top of their game that charged $95/hour for design work. I am inclined to believe that the kind of craftsmanship displayed in this rifle could exceed that easily. Is this an example of a million dollar firearm or a million dollar artistic creation? Even if I could afford to buy a couple, not sure I could ever bring myself to fire a round muchless a snapcap.

It is an absosmurfly fantabulous example of a truly gifted individual. I viewed several works on that sight. Now I gotta get a new keyboard for my computer. I ruined the one with which I first viewed those guns with slobber and tears.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are with out a doubt exquisite works of art which just happen to be on firearms rather than canvas !.

As most of us could only dream of ownership , what would you do with it if you owned it ?.

Boar hunting Dahl sheep Safari ? Not for me !. I see that giving ENORMOUS JOY too my insurance

agent , counting his fantastic bonus after giving me a heart attack with the NEW premium !.

Some guns just belong in museums . I think we could all agree those most definitely qualify !!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
.....found this while searching for engraver information.....at over 16,000 man hours...

Peter certainly builds some exquesite firearms, but 16,000 hours is difficult to believe.

40 hrs per week x 52 weeks = 2080 hours per year (not counting liberal European holidays.)

16,000 hours / 2080 hours per year = 7.69 years of consecutive, uninterupted 40-hour work weeks.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of Hofer's pieces have gone over a million. I'm sure the rifle pictured was at least half a million. Nearly all of his work is commissioned.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had rather have some of Weibe's work with Mr. Kehr's work and a few other talented builders. I would spend the balance on hunts.
Peter's work is fantastic, but not anything I would want if I could afford it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

People who buy from Hofer don't have to worry about "the balance" to spend on a hunt.....their balance is nearly unlimited. I note that he has several flintlock shotguns for sale, very nice indeed, and only about $40,000 each. shocker OTOH he has a scaled Gatling Gun which is reasonable.....not to mention the Ruger stainless SBH for $14,000.....true, it is engraved by the great Lynton McKenzie and is very attractive, but really......I was going to order it, but he didn't have a pair. clap

OTOH, he builds guns that none of the US builders come close to as far as innovation goes. As was said above, he's a Rembrandt of the gun business......I just can't afford him, nor do I like his snooty attitude, but, like the old saying goes, it ain't bragging if you can do it.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: The music sucks......

xxxxxxxxxx