New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torx head screw blank
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to find a torx head screw blank that I can machine to fit a Montana action (for the bottom metal).

(I can find other screw head types such as allen, slot, etc., but I really want the torx head for a reason).

Anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks,

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what size screw are you looking for?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The screws are basically the same size as the action screws on a Winchester Model 70 rifle.

My action is at the gunsmith's, so I can't measure the length and thread pitch right now.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Torx screws usually go up to a #10 machine screw size, I have never seen a #12, and I looked for you in my hardware sourcesa at work.

I checked Brownells and they didn't give the specs on the screw but my guess a #10 won't be big enough, unless the thread pitch matches. I was figuring if you could find a #12 you could turn it down on a lathe, but I didn't find any.

What do you want to do with this? Meaning cosmetic or technical reason, and what type of head do you want ( pan, or countersunk). FInding a pan head torx in a #12 or 1/4" will be tough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
I am looking to find a torx head screw blank that I can machine to fit a Montana action (for the bottom metal).

(I can find other screw head types such as allen, slot, etc., but I really want the torx head for a reason).

Anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks,

Garrett

Garrett,

Rutland Tool and Gas sells Torx Head drivers up to size T40 and Brownells sells maga-tip bits up to size T30...ask those companies what size screws need those larger sized drivers.

The torx head design was conceived, I believe, to allow for a better grip on smaller screw heads to keep from stripping them out when tightening. Perhaps there is no practical reason for this on screws beyond a certain size.

Do an internet search for “Torx Head Screws†and contact the tech department in those companies. If there is some technical reason that Torx Head screws are not made in larger sizes I’m sure they could tell you why.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason for the torx head is to make for easier removal (and reapplication) of the action, with less marring of the screw (which will be engraved).

I am stocking this rifle in a nice piece of wood, but will periodically need to pull it out of the stock.

I have other fine rifles with timed screws (with perfectly matching screw drivers), but no matter how careful I am (or my gunsmith), you can see small distortions of the screw slots after the action is removed, especially where torquing of the screw contributes to good accuracy.

If necessary, I can make do with a hexagonal head screw, but I think the torx fitting will look nicer with surrounding engraving.

An oversize torx screw would be great to find, since I could then turn it down on a lathe.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An oversize torx screw would be great to find, since I could then turn it down on a lathe.

Yeah, thats what I was figuring it would be the path of least resistance.

Honestly, I don't why somebody doesn't bring out some of these with the floral engraving like you can buy for 1911 grip screws, if these were available I would pay a premium, it wouldn't even need to be torx, allen, or even spline would also work.

I am doing a model 70 right now and I was looking for the same, and no I didn't find anything.

You might try taking a allen head, cap screw and cutting down the head, the heads are usually too tall but if you cut the shoulder back on your lathe and removed some off the top of the head you might get where you want to be.

I am not a big fan of slotted screws either, without a screwdriver custom ground to fit the slot exactly I always see some buggering of the heads. The other bitch I have is they are not really torque wrench friendly, I much prefer a allen when I am torquing these.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt this will work but you might contact Brownells for actual spec's do a search for this item number on Brownells:

767-000-051

Probably the wrong thread pitch, and Brownells isn't listing what it is.

If you find one of these post your findings, I had consoled myself to a slotted and engraving it. What I was really looking for was replacing these screws and the grip cap screw with engraved floral parttern screws, in my mind it would be a nice touch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm not sure of the length but the pitch of the winchester 70 screws are 1/4 x 32 tpi. not a very common size. might be hard to find in the head configuration that you need.

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1/4 x 32 tpi.

Yeah, what I figured 32 tpi stinks. But check out this at McMaster Carr: 92610A393

If the head diameter is large enough, you could turn this down on the lathe. The head heigth is 5/16", and the diameter is 15/32". You could go up to a 3/8" if the head diameter is too small it has a 9/16" diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any company set up to produce one size of screw can produce another size if need be.

You can contact some companies that make Torx Head screws and inquire if they do custom sizes and what the minimum order would be. It might be smaller than you think and not cost as much as paying someone to make them for you from existing screws. After all, a box of 100 1/4x28 cap head screws costs about $6 bucks. Even if the cost for a custom size is 10 times that amount you might be ahead of the game and have a ton of spares sitting around if you ever need them.

Just a thought!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the slickest things I saw on a gun once was a gold insert in an allen head. It was held in place level with the top by a aprin and the surrounding screw head was engraved to look like a flower. To remove you depressed the gold portion and turned it with an allen wrench. It would work with the torxs also. Always wanted to build some.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Torx Drive is a proprietary product of the Cam Carr Corp. Contact them for distributors. I've used them in sizes up to 1/4 inch. Don't think you'll find anything in other than std. threads, but a long, cut off and threaded may fix you up.

Alan

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick0311,

I have explored custom hardware at work several times, I have never found it to be cost effective, the min qty, to run them on a screw machine is a lot, other option is a cnc lathe, my last last batch of shock guide pins ran me $6 or $8 ea, and I would need to check the Purchase order but I had to buy 100 pins, think I looked into smaller quanities but the cost per pin just went up.

I always use stainless but I don't think the material type is the cost driver, its the machine setup time that runs the cost, cause if I try to run smaller qty's the cost just equals what 100 pieces does, at a higher piece price.

If anybody does have a link for this definately post it, cause I use jack screws by the bucket at work and currently I pay over $2.00 per set of 2, and I still have my assemblers cut them to length. I would be in for a order of 1000 pieces, in my next production run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:
Rick0311,

I have explored custom hardware at work several times, I have never found it to be cost effective, the min qty, to run them on a screw machine is a lot, other option is a cnc lathe, my last last batch of shock guide pins ran me $6 or $8 ea, and I would need to check the Purchase order but I had to buy 100 pins, think I looked into smaller quanities but the cost per pin just went up.

I always use stainless but I don't think the material type is the cost driver, its the machine setup time that runs the cost, cause if I try to run smaller qty's the cost just equals what 100 pieces does, at a higher piece price.

If anybody does have a link for this definately post it, cause I use jack screws by the bucket at work and currently I pay over $2.00 per set of 2, and I still have my assemblers cut them to length. I would be in for a order of 1000 pieces, in my next production run.

I don’t doubt what you’re saying but one will never know unless one asks! Smiler

You never know but maybe someone already makes the screw you are looking for. I remember years ago I needed a stainless steel adjustable hose clamp that would extend out enough for a 16 inch inside diameter and everyone told me that it didn’t exist in that ridiculous size. Everyone that is except for an old guy at a Napa Auto parts store in Kansas. Napa carried them for a air duct hose for Caterpillar Tractors or something of the sort and this guys only question was: “how many do you need?â€

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick0311,

Its definately worth the hunt.

Refresh my memory, cause I am not at home aren't the Remington allen screws countersunk?

I am wondering if the reason these aren't being made is the head height on a pan head is too small and there isn't enough material for a torx or allen cut, these are usually at least an 1/8" deep.

I did run across this though:

https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl...NG2&catstr=HOME:ENG1

Seems like somebody should be doing something similar for triggerguard screws.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew I would find it, here is something simple but elegent:

That is excatly what I was looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a blank screw, thread it and drill the top for a pin drive, which you could custom make. It would look like a crossbolt head, look great engraved, and could have an extremely thin head. I've never tried it, but I think it would look good.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:
Rick0311,

Its definately worth the hunt.

Refresh my memory, cause I am not at home aren't the Remington allen screws countersunk?

I am wondering if the reason these aren't being made is the head height on a pan head is too small and there isn't enough material for a torx or allen cut, these are usually at least an 1/8" deep.

Seems like somebody should be doing something similar for triggerguard screws.

Depending on what brand bottom metal you have, they have either a Fillister head countersink or a 45 degree chamfered countersink.

I still maintain that the companies that are making these custom type screws like in your pictures would be the best people to contact before anyone starts trying to build something themselves. Phone calls and emails are cheap.

It shouldn’t be forgotten that triggerguard screws on a bolt action rifle are a bit more structurally critical when it comes to torque than grip panel screws on a pistol are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two minutes of web browsing came up with a good shot you might try.

http://www.aaronstorxscrews.com/TorxScrews.htm

Just do a search under (believe it or not) “Torx Screwsâ€...just be sure to add the quotes or you will end up with every screw place on earth, and some that have very little to do with fasteners! Smiler