New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pachmayer PREFIT Recoil Pads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
FYI, I bought a Pachmayer prefit recoil pad from Cabela's ($28 or so) for my wood stocked Remington 870 Express. Functionally, it worked VERY well at reducing the punch of my 3" mag deer slugs. However, it fit the buttstock like a kid cut the pattern out with safety scissors. It was a really poor fit. I checked to see if perhaps the screw hole were improperly placed or something like that, but no...it just doesn't fit the stock very well.

I can live with it as is on the Remington 870 Express, but you better believe me on a higher dollar gun I would be pretty ticked off!

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had similar problems with my synthetic stalked Ruger and the pre-fit pachmayer pad. The pad did not fit flush with the stalk, which was surprising since you would think all the synthetic stalks would be the same. So it should be easy to manufacture the pad correctly, right? Then, I couldn't get the pad mounted solidly on the stock with the attachment hardware that came with the gun. I ended up using the stock Ruger screws and drilling a hole in the pachmayer pad so that I could use them. Next time I am going to pay to have a pad fit to the rifle.

Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
I ordered one for my Model 70 300 RUM. The fit was not too good. It took me about an hour with a dremel tool to get it to look decent but still not great. It did reduce the recoil by about 1/3.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
I bought one for my Ruger 300 Win Mag. I was hoping it would tame the recoil. It didn't IMO. It didn't fit worth a shit either.

I cut the stock flush on my single shot 16 gauge and mounted the recoil pad on it. It made a huge difference. Steel vs pad though.

Overpriced gimmick IMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI, I sent a complaint to Cabela's about the Pachmayer PREFIT recoil pads. That is where I purchased it. Hopefully, if someone as big as Cabela's complains to Pachmayer something may get done about it.

There is no reasons for these recoil pads to fit as badly as they do. Everyone of these factory stocks are milled via machine not individually hand crafted. If they were hand crafted I don't think any of us would have tried to put a PREFIT pad on them.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote