Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight removal/measurement question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I have a (sporterized) Krag that's been in the family for years and has a Williams peep sight on it. It's almost near the bottom of its adjustment , so I want to install a slightly higher front sight on it. The front sight (not orig, either) is dovetailed in w/a standard 3/8" dovetail.
1. How is the height measured? My guess is that it's the height minus the dovetail.
2. Which side does it come out of. It's got a dimple on the RH side of it.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
As a basic starting point, center the peep sight in its elevation setting and measure the distance from the center of the peep to the center of the bore. The top of the front sight blade should be about the same height as the center of the peep.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Let me rephrase my question. I'd like to measure the height of my existing sight. I know how much higher the new blade needs to be.
However, I need to know which direction it needs to go to remove it. Hope that clears things up.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Marbles sights include the dovetail for the height measurement.

Also,

quote:
From Brownells:

Q: How much higher should my front sight be if I were to install a receiver sight?

A: The front sight should be approximately .125" higher if a receiver sight is used. Depending upon the characteristics of the individual rifle, the front sight may require more or less additional height.

I believe that is with the receiver sight bottomed.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to know:

looking from the receiver down the barrel (like when you sight the rifle) at the front sight, is the front sight:

1) placed at the right side of the dovetail slot and drifted into the dovetail by pushing it leftward

2) the reverse

3) makes no difference

in a nutshell, is it drifted to the left or right to get it in the dovetail.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
When I machine dovetails, I set them up to enter from the right. Unless I see an obvious difference from one side to the other, I treat the others the same way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1) placed at the right side of the dovetail slot and drifted into the dovetail by pushing it leftward

this is correct.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>>>I'd like to measure the height of my existing sight. I know how much higher the new blade needs to be. <<<

Williams make the blades in a limited number of increments. You can eye ball it with a scale or calipers and get close enough to pick which height it is without removing it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old4x4:
I have a (sporterized) Krag that's been in the family for years and has a Williams peep sight on it. It's almost near the bottom of its adjustment , so I want to install a slightly higher front sight on it. The front sight (not orig, either) is dovetailed in w/a standard 3/8" dovetail.
1. How is the height measured? My guess is that it's the height minus the dovetail.
2. Which side does it come out of. It's got a dimple on the RH side of it.

Williams will be stamped on the bottom. After you use a plastic rod to drift the existing site blade out(left to right)! Williams are measured from the Bottom of the Dovetail to the top of the Bead!! Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Perfect. I made up a jig last nite @ work and pushed the front sight out...left to right. Thanks all.

Charles Bronson