Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Work in Process Photo Album
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You've got great taste!
Pretty damn good chef feeding you as well!
gunmaker

<SDH>
posted
I thought that looked like a Ralf Martini barrel job! He is doing the finest barrel contouring I can imagine. Several for me, besides what a good guy he is. Ralf knows how to do the intricate machining but can also use a file to delicately shape the quarter-rib and front sight finials. He understands elegance. I'm quite sure those barrels are slightly swamped.
Forrest, this is what custom gunmaking is all about. The aquisition, planning, parts accumulation, wood selection, in process communication and the eventual satisfaction of a truly superior creation by the finest quality craftsmen.
You are very fortunate to have the is process photos as few have the knowledge or will take the time to provide them.

You are going to experience the grand pleasure of the process as well as the cumlulative results of your ideas and the craftsmen's benchwork.

I applaud the entire experience and can assure you of years of pure pleasure to come from it.
Duane is one of the folks deserving acolades, he can do it all when it comes to special rifle projects. Ralf is clearly headed in that direction and your rifles will be pleasures forever, beyond your lifetime.
This experience is known to originate at the ACGG auction. Good on you!
Check your PM.
Congratulations! I hope to see them, you, Duane and Ralf in Reno!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are some of the nicest rifles I have ever seen !!

Congratulations !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If I were using any logic at all, this project would have never gotten off the ground. I don't NEED either rifle as I already have pet rifles that cover all the ground that this 300 H&H and 375 H&H could be used for.

I was sitting at the ACGG dinner in Reno a couple of years ago, minding my own business. One of the auction items was a 30 caliber full octagon barrel, made by Ralf Martini. It came up for bid and was going for a song, so I joined in the bidding and ended up with the barrel. It was such a bargain, that I couldn't pass it up. Well, it has turned out that that barrel was the most expensive gun part I have ever purchased.

Sitting at dinner between Duane and the engraver Sam Welch didn't help, and the wine surely didn't help. By the time dinner was over, we had dreamed up the idea for a 300 H&H and I had placed an order with Ralf for a matching barrel in .375. I had gotten such a great deal on the .308 barrel, why not put some of the "savings" towards another barrel and make a matched pair? Have about 5 glasses of wine and this will start making some sense to you too.

Between Duane, Ralf, Sam and some other "experts" the idea jelled for a matched pair of working-rifles in 300 H&H and 375 H&H; sensibly stocked but with all the necessary accoutrements. Duane said square bridges, Sam said full coverage engraving, Lee LeBas said claw mounts. Gosh, it's great to have such helpful friends; but at least they were paying for the wine now. The next morning at the show, I found two nice matching blanks on Steve Heilman's table and got these for a great price. According to my "Reno accounting" I was now making money on this project.

I had a couple of 1935 Chilean mausers that I acquired through some convoluted trading. My selective memory told me I had almost nothing invested in the actions. It was looking like I was getting these rifles almost for FREE!

I sent my FREE actions to Duane and he opened them up to long-magnum dimensions, welded on new bolt handles, square-bridged them, added Blackburn bottom metal and triggers, and Wisner three-position safeties. He inletted the square-bridge to accept a custom claw mount mechanism he designed. My free actions weren't looking so free anymore.

Some "minor" details like re-cutting the magazine boxes to allow for better feeding and a slimmer fore-end profile, and buying lots of new "one-off" cutting pieces so Duane could make the claw mounts added "minor" amounts to the bargain price. What the hell, right? I did get such a deal on that 308 barrel.

Later another great deal fell into my lap when I got 1,000 pieces of virgin Winchester brass in 300 H&H for less than $100. Dang, somebody is looking out for me. My good deal is getting better all the time. Pretty soon Ralf and Duane will be sending me money, I thought.

Just wait, it gets better. I got such a deal on some Swarovski scopes, I had better buy an extra one for the 300 and have Duane it set up in claw mount rings, just in case. If I ever lost a scope years down the road, I thought, what would it cost to have someone else make a new set of rings for Duane's custom mounts? I'd be saving myself money to have it done now. If I remember correctly, more wine was involved in this decision.

Well now the final billing has come in and I'm forced to do an accurate accounting of what I've been spending to have all my bargain components assembled into functional rifles. Thank God it�s been spread over a couple of years.

As I look at the bills though, I figure each of the craftsmen involved are grossing about $50/hour. That's gross. Try putting together a full machine shop manned by experienced craftsmen and rent it out for $50/hour. See how rich you get.

This project really has been a lot of fun for me and I've learned a lot more than I ever knew about various facets of rifle building. My auto mechanic and A/C guys charge me about $90/hour and you won't find me calling them every week to get a progress report or posting pictures of their work on the internet so we can all stand in awe of their talents.

Guys, we are truly lucky that some people (with real talent) love making, what we love admiring, so much that they are willing to do it almost for FREE. Call your friendly gunsmith today and get him started on a project before everyone figures out what a great deal this is.

Now where did I put Don Klein's phone number? I just got a great deal on a two-piece blank and I know where I can get a Hagn action on the cheap.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I haven't seen anything Duane Wiebe has made that I wouldn't cherish.

Congratulations!
Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote