New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle - pics!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, it took a couple of years to get finished and has been carried across a couple of national borders, but I finally took possession of my first "custom" rifle on New Year's Day. Just borrowed a camera to take some photos. Pity my photography doesn't do the rifle any favours.

A couple of details,

9.3x62

Left-hand Winchester mod. 70 action - with a few extras

The makers are a couple of good Aussie craftsmen, Kudu Services (Bob de Vries) for the metalwork & Ross Waghorn for the stock.

Phil Vinnicombe did the engraving.

Here are a couple of in progress pics scanned from a year ago

The stock blank on the right

And proof of the pudding...

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Stu C,
All I can say is , Damn! That's real Purty!
Congrats, mate!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!! And it even has the bolt on the correct side!!!!!!!!!!! I have a lefty M70 being worked over right now, and it is my first custom rifle as well! Hope mine turns out as well as yours.

HUNTR

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty. I seem to remember you're having a left-hand rifle or two being put together at the moment? Please make sure to post pics when they're finished.

-Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Huntr. Please make sure to keep us posted once you've got some pictures.

Thanks,
-Stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu,

It all came out real good.

Is it the way I am seeing the pictures or has the bottom of the receiver and recoil lug been trimmed back and also has the action screw been put into the recoil lug.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VERY nice, Stu!

What were the logistics of your project?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a fabulous rifle and I am pleased to see that you are not afraid to take it out in the bush where it can get some action.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, funny you mention logistics. Talk about long distance planning! 3 trips to Melbourne over two years, many phone calls, faxes and emails to work out details and a two year wait to get it in my hands in Australia. Then it was off to Qld for its maiden hunt before being packed up for the return trip with me to Switzerland. Over two months to deal with Customs, the City and Fed cops here, and I ended up with my permits in time to fetch the rifle from Customs on New Year's day. Quite an adventure for me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, absolutley beautiful. That rifle is to my taste 100%.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
VERY nice Stu....good bulls as well.

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu-

To borrow a line from the Crocodile Hunter (sorry, I just had to). Sheee's a beauty!!!!!!

I love the lines of your stock. I wish I could find someone to duplicate that in a right-handed version.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Stu:

Beautiful work, and I would love to have the right-handed one. Did you have two rifles made? The one with the first bull is the right-handed one , or else the picture is reversed.

Dave

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Did you have two rifles made? The one with the first bull is the right-handed one , or else the picture is reversed.

Dave, either I need glasses, or you do?? The rifles in the pictures with the scrub-bulls both seem pretty left-handed to me??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle, Stu, but I'll bet draggin' that bull out was a chore....You did have help, didn't you?

:-)

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Beutifull rifle , nice classic stock , good work on the quarter rib and good engravings too
Stu enjoy it

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I guess I do need glasses. I just relooked at the picture and noticed that the bolt handle is up, which is why I did not see it.

Dave

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought that might be the reason. Would have been nice if Stu had had both a right and a left handed rifle built. I surely would have helped exercise the right-handed one... Must be my time in the Boy-Scouts!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And proof of the pudding...

Hey, that was my best milking cow you bastard!

Sorry, could not resist...

Lovely gun, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Exceptional, you can be rightly proud.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice Stu. You have good taste.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Stu.....I've built a few guns but none prittier.....

The bolt handle is on the wrong side and the cheek piece is too....

You have every right to be very proud of that rifle....may it serve you well.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In praise of the left handed Model 70. Nice looking rifle.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stu

Very nice!

What type of wood and what grade is that?

I really like seeing a before and after picture from blank to stock. It's hard for me to visualize what a blank will look like when finished....

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marterius, If that was your best milking cow, you must have been getting some rather strange milk!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That wood is Australian grown, English walnut. Not sure on the grade. I picked it out together with the stockmaker from his pile.

I thought the same thing about the before and after shots when Customstox posted the photos of the One Eyed Jack. Thought it was a good idea so did the same.