New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako barrel action
 Login/Join

<jjdero>
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a Sako Finnbear 7mm Rem. mag barrel action. It was in a fire proof safe and there was a fire and the gun got smoked pretty bad. No direct fire touched the metal. The stock was chard a little so it must have got some hot in the safe. I've talked to a metallurgist and he said to replace any springs and it should be ok. Need advice on this. What do you think? I can get this thing really cheap. Thanks jjdero

<Harry>
posted
Buy it.

<holtz>
posted
Hard to say as you didn't say what "really cheap" is. My concern would be that temps high enough to char wood may have caused the barrel to warp. It may not be noticeable, but even a few thousands and its a problem. I would have it checked by a competent 'smith.

Steve

<jjdero>
posted
Bought it. Taken it by two diffrent smiths, they saw nothing wrong with it. Trigger seems jamed some way, not sure just whats wrong with it. I think I'm going to either swap it for a Rem. 700 mag. BDL action, are sell it, (the Sako) and by one (Rem) I have a couple of stocks for Rem. plus that what my other rifles are, just feel like I know a little more about Remingtons. Maybe make a 257STW out of the new action, I would need a mag. action for that? Thanks guys. jjdero

<JBelk>
posted
If the springs are bad the receiver and bolt MUST be re-heattreated.

posted Hide Post
Take it to all the "smiths" you want. If it was mine, I'd listen to JBelk.

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
<jjdero>
posted
JBelk, that what I'm going to do, if after I have the heat treating co check the Rockwell hardness� on the receiver and bolt and find that it not right a the correct Rc. Two different action manufactures list their products at 42 to 45 Rc for their actions. I'm going to see if Sako will tell me their specs. The springs seemed fine to me but I'm no expert on metal or it's makeup. I will do some more in quizzing from my metallurgist friend and find out just how hot 4140 needs to get before it takes the hardness� out and starts to turn soft. Thanks for the heads up, better safe than sorry. Ps I only got a $100.00 bucks in it so for, but if it shot, well I want it to be just a $100.00. jjdero