THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M700 SAUM to WSM, what parts are required?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a M700 Stainless SAUM action that I had made into a 300 WSM. It makes an excellent single shot rifle but I'd like to get at least a second or maybe a third round in the magazine (BDL configuration).

I see Remington no makes M700 rifles chambered in 300 WSM. I was wondering what parts and/or modifications would be needed to get a full 3 round capacity out of my SAUM action? For example, I see Wyatts Outdoor makes magaines for the Model 700.

It would seem I could use either the Wyatts 100-000-535WB standard or 100-000-536WB
WSM Extended Magazine Box to execute this modification. Have any of you actually done it? I'd be curious to know what you learned.

RE5513

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you still have the original magazine, follower and bottom metal? They should work fine for a WSM. Remington makes several models in .300 WSM. They hold 3 down.

The Wyatts mag box is intended to give you more length and they usually need some machining to work right. They won't give you more down.

Brownells has the parts if you don't have them.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
>Do you still have the original magazine, follower and bottom metal?

I do. I suspect this early stainless M700 action came on an SAUM rifle when they were first introduced some years ago. It built up fine into the 300 WSM and the WSM round fits in the magazine just fine. However, two rounds, let alone three rounds in the stock magazine and follower do not work. As Remington now offers the 300 WSM as an option, I was wondering if there might be a new magazine box and follower for the WSM based model 700's that I could obtain for my rifle.

In any case, the 300 WSM with the stock magazine box, spring, and follower that came with my action don't really accomodate the 300 WSM cartridge beyond a single round it appears.

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull out the magazine and see if the top is tapered of if it is straight. I suspect that they may have used the standard mag back then.

The current WSM magazine has straight sides. Midway has the mag box and follower listed for the WSM.

How many SAUM rounds will it hold? The two cartridges are not that different save the shoulder position.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I see Midway lists a box which should serve for both SAUM and WSM cases and also two different followers. I"m traveling on Biz at the moment. When I return I'll double check the magazine in the stock BDL stainless action I have and maybe order the new follower. Looking at it closely, it seems to me the stock follower is not optimal for the WSM case beyond 1 round in the magazine (as it currently stands).