New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Mauser Model 96 new design
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is a mauser 96 that has a rotary bolt. Is this a good model/design?

Thanks Ted Sierocinski
505-670-1680

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at this question several times...my curiosity is piqued...Are you describing the 1896 or is this some new model I personally never heard of?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly rather shoddy and cheap workmanship. The intent was a rifle specifically for the American market to compete against equally shitty and shoddily built American middle of the road rifles.

Unlike the original Mauser that was built to compete against shitty and shoddily built British SMLE rifles. But was still a failure in 1914! Ha, ha!

If it is the rifle I think that is being referred to it has the handle along the bolt and is a straight pull.

The Mauser 66 I think?

As "ALF" says I wouldn't bother. It offers no merit against the conventional Mauser design and has no advantages of a true straight pull like the Ross. And the bolt handle is in the wrong place. It doesn't look too bad when Mannlicher do it (not to my taste) but on these Mausers...yeuch!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend who shares tables with me at gunshows routinely brings his Mauser 66 "package" which includes 3 barrels and Mauser fitted case no less!
He holds them at high value and has been holding them for some 5 years now w/ no buyers.
Have handled them, and best description I would give is that they are awkward in handling and quite a collection of parts, but someday, somebody will want them.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsiero:
There is a mauser 96 that has a rotary bolt. Is this a good model/design?

Thanks Ted Sierocinski
505-670-1680

Ted the model (1996) 96 is a straight pull rifle similar as the Blaser but a much stronger looking system the metal finish on mine is good the wood plain mass production rifle it got a 3 pos safety and function and shoots very well accurate and reliable if you want a straight pull rifle I take one any day over a Blaser. sofa For scope mounts any Remington 700 bases fit!
It was only a failure in a commercial sense! Wrong timing and marketing.

Hope that helps

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .308 - shoots like a laser.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. My son joined the Air National Guard in AK as a PJ and I wanted to get a 30-06 for the hunts up there. I was wondering about the quality of this rifle.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
it's on Mausers homepage. Have no idea about quality

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/Model-96.164.0.html?&L=1

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quality and finish of a m96 straightpull, would't even stand the qualitycriteria of Walmart.
I 100% agree with ALF

The mauser 66 was of excelent craftmansship