THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Who would you have matte blue your rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chic, that is really true about guys working for peanuts. I remember talking to a young smith at the ACGG show, told him I wast rying to learn how to do some stuff. I don't plan on getting into it for a profession, not any time in the next decade or two, but want to get THAT GOOD. Anyways, what he said was that new guys gettinginto it charge less than they should, and not only hurt themselves by not working for enough to cover all those things like you mentioned, but they hurt the trade as a whole. By working for less clients out there get the idea that the gunsmiths that do it for a living and charge enough to do more than break even are charging too much.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen of his work here, I hope it's a nice new RED < !--color--> Ferrari.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you get a Ferrari in four wheel drive and 3/4 ton?

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I do not charge enough money to do gunsmithing work.
Personally, I charge $89.50 for a bead-blasted finish and $99.50 if it has heavy pitting.
I cannot leave guns overnight anymore in my shop, so I guess as an 'inconvenience' all work is done same day.

Listen, $150 for a job that takes 1-2 weeks, you are getting ripped.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Glenrock Blue [see link above] for a half-dozen rifles over the years. I think their work is first rate. The use a 10-12 tank system [something like that]. They are conscientious; their prices are reasonable and turn around is usually only four to six weeks. I have also heard that Jim Baiar [Half Moon Barrel Company, near Kalispell, MT (406) 892-4409] does very fine blueing. However, I prefer to use Jim for barrel making. His cut-rifled barrels are one of the best kept secrets out there.

JOrdan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know of no gunsmiths who are driving a Mercedes.

Chick is right. He drives a FERRARI! < !--color--> < !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah and it takes you time to disassemble the gun, clean it, make it ready to blue including clean up , then bluing then reassemble, make sure it works, then package and take to the post office and ship it. You also need to have a shop rate that is commensurate with your equipment. Clean up times of your shop have to be factored into hourly rates, including ordering items. It all comes into play with figuring what true shop hourly rates are. If you are a hobby gunsmith you often forget things like that and work for peanuts. It makes it appear like you are a bargain and in fact you are selling yourself short. I know of no gunsmiths who are driving a Mercedes.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote