New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno ZKK 600 in .270 for sale
 Login/Join

<slancey>
posted
Anyone see this auction on gunbroker.com?
Brno ZKK

<slancey>
posted
It looks like $600-$700 will get it. Was there ever a deluxe version of this model?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
It looks like $600-$700 will get it. Was there ever a deluxe version of this model?

I don't believe there was. Until 1970-71 they were all much more nicely finished than later on; well polished stocks, well finished metal work. Most of the early stocks I've seen were light coloured, moderately figured wood. Not exactly blond, but certainly not dark.

About 1973, finish sort of went to Hell in a handbasket. Actions looked like almost unfinished castings, wood was very porous by comparison with the earlier ones, pores unfilled to a large extent, and definitely not glossy or well polished.

About the same time they also lost the "pop-up" peep sight in the rear bridge, and a rough looking sort of Weatherby-style stock clone appeared as an option which they referred to as the "American version". In all fairness, others apparently liked it, but I despised it and still do.

They still shot and handled well, however, so from that perspective I still consider them one of my preferred sporter rifles from the past.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There were two stock versions. The standard grade had a somewhat plain classic-style stock, the Lux version had a Weatherby-style stock with rollover cheekpiece, white spacers, rosewood forend tip, grip cap, etc. The cost of the Lux version was a little more. I don't know why the owner of this particular rifle drilled the bridge.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got one for R1000-00 (approx. $100) in South Africa, 85% condition. Still waiting for my license though!!!!!!!!!!!!! for that price Beautiful

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
There were two stock versions. The standard grade had a somewhat plain classic-style stock, the Lux version had a Weatherby-style stock with rollover cheekpiece, white spacers, rosewood forend tip, grip cap, etc. The cost of the Lux version was a little more. I don't know why the owner of this particular rifle drilled the bridge.

Fla3006 -
Well, there must have been at least three stock versions then, probably more.

I have owned a couple of the "European" stock versions...still have one in .30-06. Previous one was 7x57; both with pop-up peeps. The 7x57 stock was well polished and laquer finished. Current .30-06 is same shape but is oil finished with very little if any polishing. (I very briefly had one just like it in .223, also well polished, laquer finish, but Erv Heiman of the Custom Gun Shop in Edmonton liked it so much he traded the 7x57 to me for it.)

Then too, I turned down a NIB one of the "American" versions in 1969 which had a Monte Carlo and exaggerated pistol grip with angled bottom like the Mark V Weatherby but no forend tip at all...and a rough oil finish. Wood was so porous it would have made a fence post look proud.

I suspect they are much like the products from many large scale arms producers. Over time they evolve. Not always for the better, but certainly somewhat different, hoping to find that magic market penetration.

Best wishes,

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:

I don't believe there was. Until 1970-71 they were all much more nicely finished than later on; well polished stocks, well finished metal work. Most of the early stocks I've seen were light coloured, moderately figured wood. Not exactly blond, but certainly not dark.

About 1973, finish sort of went to Hell in a handbasket. Actions looked like almost unfinished castings, wood was very porous by comparison with the earlier ones, pores unfilled to a large extent, and definitely not glossy or well polished.

About the same time they also lost the "pop-up" peep sight in the rear bridge, and a rough looking sort of Weatherby-style stock clone appeared as an option which they referred to as the "American version". In all fairness, others apparently liked it, but I despised it and still do.

They still shot and handled well, however, so from that perspective I still consider them one of my preferred sporter rifles from the past.
Very good post!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Alberta, yes there were a handful of other varieties, in pop-up peep actions and the later model w/o peep. You could get a full Mannlicher stock and you could even order a ZKK with factory engraving and a carved stock like this:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cz=good stuff/the price is right

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote